Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Concert 2021

Yes, extremely early in the game, but I was in the mood, so here goes with the annual thread for the Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Day concert, 2021 version. First, standard links:

VPO: https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/...s-concert-main
    ORF: https://oe1.orf.at/programm/20210101/622196
    BBC R3: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qncs

The most important aspect of this year's concert is due to the obvious, and is reflected in this statement from the VPOs page on the NJK:

"Das Neujahrskonzert 2021 findet ohne Publikum statt."
    "The 2021 New Year's Concert will take place without an audience."
    So the only people in the Great Hall of the Musikverein, besides the VPO and Muti, will be the camera crews and the various TV/radio announcers. For R3, as has been standard for the past several years, Petroc gets the announcer's call. Presumably he will be able to travel to Vienna, as opposed to just sitting in London to do a remote relay, as the interval feature on R3 usually features him doing a Vienna-themed feature with recording material on-site in Vienna.

Here is the program(me), minus the 1 unknown and 2 standard encores (blank line indicates the interval):

Franz von Suppé: Fatinitza-Marsch (*)
    Johann Strauss II:
    a. Schallwellen, Walzer, op. 148 (*)
    b. Niko-Polka, op. 228
    Josef Strauss: Ohne Sorgen, Polka schnell, op. 271
    Carl Zeller: Grubenlichter, Walzer (*)
    Karl Millöcker: In Saus und Braus, Galop (*)

Franz von Suppé: Poet and Peasant Overture (Ouvertüre zu Dichter und Bauer)
    Karl Komzák: Bad'ner Mad'ln, Walzer, op. 257 (*)
    Josef Strauss: Margherita-Polka, op. 244
    Johann Strauss I: Venetianer-Galopp, op. 74 (*)
    Johann Strauss II:
    c. Frühlingsstimmen, Walzer, op. 410
    d. Im Krapfenwaldl, Polka française, op. 336
    e. Neue Melodien-Quadrille, op. 254
    f. Kaiser-Walzer, op. 437
    g. Stürmisch in Lieb' und Tanz (Tempestuous in Love and Dance), Polka schnell, op. 393

From the cross-check of my Excel spreadsheet, it looks like 6 new works for this year's New Year's Concert, marked with a (*), with 3 completely new composer names to the roster, Carl Zeller, Karl Millöcker, and Karl Komzák.

It's obviously going to be very weird all around for the VPO to be playing to an empty hall, for this concert of all their concerts. What's even weirder is that the VPO's site still shows the standard preview concerts on Dec. 30 and Dec. 31 on their calendar as well, even though no audience can be present for those performances either. IMHO, it seems pointless to give the same program 3 times to an empty hall, unless the plan is to film all 3 readings to be ready for enough footage to edit into the final commercial video and album later, to cover any blips from January 1. Anyway, if all 3 performances are indeed really happening as usual, the reasons are obviously way above my pay grade. It will still make for enjoyable listening, even if with a very different vibe this time.

Thanks for the thread BSP.

The concert is more enjoyed without knowing the programme first I find. Only caught the name of Suppé as I scrolled down and even then not the piece.

The passing disappointment of Muti returning so soon has been overcome and I’m looking forward to this as much as anything over the holiday period

Comment

Thanks, bsp, it looks an interesting programme.

Somewhat controversially, according to the Lebrecht site, I understand that ORF are to insert canned applause between the items which, frankly, I find laughable but, apparently, ORF are doing something similar with their football relays.

The music, as ever, will be enough to brighten up the start of the new year which, fingers crossed, will be better than this one.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Somewhat controversially, according to the Lebrecht site, I understand that ORF are to insert canned applause between the items which, frankly, I find laughable but, apparently, ORF are doing something similar with their football relays.

The music, as ever, will be enough to brighten up the start of the new year which, fingers crossed, will be better than this one.
        Would you really prefer it without applause at all, Pet? I wondered about this with my beloved football but I soon came - strongly - to prefer it with the applause mixed in.....

This concert will seem terribly poignant this year of course, as the date marks the start of....... after the Big C (not over by far), comes the Big B...

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Would you really prefer it without applause at all, Pet? I wondered about this with my beloved football but I soon came - strongly - to prefer it with the applause mixed in.....

This concert will seem terribly poignant this year of course, as the date marks the start of....... after the Big C (not over by far), comes the Big B...
          Perhaps you're right, Jayne. It will seem terribly artificial because literally everyone will know it will be fake but I'm happy enough playing CDs without any applause (including music of the Strauss family). However, I recognise the difficult decision ORF face given the unprecedented circumstances.

Comment

This seems to imply that 'live' applause will be piped in, presumably like the Zoom audiences seen in some TV shows.

Looks like my wish to experience a Radetzky March un-marred by clapping will go unfulfilled...

Ihr Applaus für das Neujahrskonzert am 1.Jänner 2021 in Wien!

Comment

Originally posted by FFRR View Post
              This seems to imply that 'live' applause will be piped in, presumably like the Zoom audiences seen in some TV shows.

Looks like my wish to experience a Radetzky March un-marred by clapping will go unfulfilled...

https://www.neujahrskonzertapplaus.com/
              Surely it will be too difficult to coordinate canned clapping with the Radetsky March. I assume the applause will be mixed in between pieces, and not during them.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Thanks for this. I was under the impression that we were looking at canned applause but this is a brilliant idea. Hope it works!

Comment

How are they going to manage it,Nobis time round?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    I prefer it without. As I imagine Arsenal will after last night.
                    Last edited by Parry1912; 14-12-20, 19:33.
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

This will be my 50th New Year's Day Concert as I've heard every one since 1972. I remember listening to the first half live on R3 on my transistor radio (the second half came in the evening on BBC2) and the incomparable Willi Boskovsky conducted. Happy days!

Comment

This will be my 50th New Year's Day Concert as I've heard every one since 1972. I remember listening to the first half live on R3 on my transistor radio (the second half came in the evening on BBC2) and the incomparable Willi Boskovsky conducted. Happy days!
                        The Viennese lilt was less pronounced 50 years ago. Its seems to have become progressively stronger, though in Harnoncourt's concerts, it was hardly noticeable as the Vienna Philharmonic.

Comment

I very much enjoyed listening to the Philharmonia/Karajan version of the Radetzky March this week without any applause.

Comment

The clapping along to the Radetzky March invariably makes me cringe.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X