Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    An item of personal trivia: My birth certificate has an authorised correction on it. I was born close to midnight and the date was initially recorded as the 24th, the clock having struck 12 by the time the documentation was filled in. However, someone or other noted the error as the birth certificate was prepared. Some 20 years later, at my request, I received Eric Walter White's "Stravinsky" The Composer and his Works" as a birthday present. However, my father managed to get the date wrong again. So the dedication bears the date 24th April. Now, the Stravinsky "River of Music" has moved to the 24th. Is this a curse of some kind?
    Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    "Sympathetic resonance", Bryn, I'd say!
    And 24 is the retrograde/inversion/retrograde inversion (?) of 42, which we all know is the answer to everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      And 24 is the retrograde/inversion/retrograde inversion (?) of 42, which we all know is the answer to everything!
      Also, as the estimable ferney woke briefly to observe, March 4th was 4321.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

"You can't be serials!"

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          "You can't be serials!"
          Quarter-tones?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Quarter-tones?
            Splitter!!!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Also, as the estimable ferney woke briefly to observe, March 4th was 4321.
              And anyone born in ‘47 will be 74 in 2121 if they are fortunate enough to live that long.

Comment

Part of the funeral service held in Venice on 15 April 1971 can be seen here:

Comment

Noting that the 'new' Stravinsky box from Warner is to be discussed during Record Review, and further to asserting that I would not be in the market for it, a "Used: Very Good" set for £45 including p&p (almost certainly a review copy, given the recent release date) caught my eye. With a birthday coming up soon, I caved in. It arrived today and there do appear to be a good many interesting recordings that are new to me. However, it is somewhat vexing that no recording dates or venues are offered in the booklet. They are, however, given on the back of each relevant slipcase.

Comment

Let's hope that the BBC has done its research better than Peter Quantrill, whose first sentence in an article entitled Stravinsky the conductor in the April 2021 issue of Gramophone reads:

Riccardo Chailly was 18 years old when Stravinsky died in Venice, in April 1971.
                    Peter Quantrill corrects himself in an article about the two Stravinsky editions in May's Gramophone, which has just arrived.

Comment

Pulc, you have recently alerted me to Stravinsky and in addition to a couple of Pulcinella’s after the BaL I have now acquired two more stravinsk6 CDs - not too costly and both excellent - Dutoit’s Sym in C and Sym in 3 with the SRO and Chailly and LSinf - Fairy’s Kiss Divertimento, Soldier’s Tale Suite, Suites 1/2 and Octet.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Pulc, you have recently alerted me to Stravinsky and in addition to a couple of Pulcinella’s after the BaL I have now acquired two more stravinsk6 CDs - not too costly and both excellent - Dutoit’s Sym in C and Sym in 3 with the SRO and Chailly and LSinf - Fairy’s Kiss Divertimento, Soldier’s Tale Suite, Suites 1/2 and Octet.

Pleased to hear that, cloughie.
                        I have both of those CDs too (and you get the original 1920 version of the Symphonies of wind, and Scherzo fantastique on the Dutoit one too).

Comment

Pleased to hear that, cloughie.
                          I have both of those CDs too (and you get the original 1920 version of the Symphonies of wind, and Scherzo fantastique on the Dutoit one too).
                          Not on my purchase - it is the original 80s Decca issue, but the WIs are coupled on my similarly early Dutoit Rite, played by that superb Montreal orchestra.

Comment

Working...
                          X