Thomas Adès: Alchymia, for clarinet and string quartet (world premiere)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve started a new thread for this even though I’ve already commented on the piece in the R3 concert one stop shop thread because I think this is one of the best World premieres I’ve heard in a long time . I would recommend any one with the slightest interest in Ades to listen on Sounds when they have a moment - it’s a really remarkable work.

Thanks Helden. You’re a good judge.

Comment

The Adès premiere did seem, on first hearing, to be a welcome return to form.

I was worried by Brahms’ Clarinet Quintet which was wonderfully played but Mark Simpson pushed the envelope of tone too far, producing too many raw sounds. All too soon, I was longing for the tonal beauty that marks Michael Collins’s playing or even dear old Jack Brymer. It was back to Gervase de Peyer with brassed-off knobs.

Comment

I also found the Adès "Alchymia" quintet to be very beguiling and enjoyable - (but I did find the Rebecca Saunders premiere last Saturday more earth-moving). The Diotoma quartet contributed a lot, not least be playing quietly sometimes to let the (bass?) clarinet shine through. Adès seems to gain a lot of inspiration from some early music composers, and some moderns.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Thanks Helden. You’re a good judge.
          Thanks - kind . I hope you enjoy it as much as I did .

FWIW this is my “innocent ear “ comment on the one stop thread ..

“Enjoying very much this world premiere on at the moment -
          A very beautiful slow movement…shades of Arcadiana. Oddly compelling first movement which seemed to consist entirely of scales - though that doesn’t begin to do it justice . I didn’t hear the preamble interview so have absolutely no idea what the piece is “about” . The third movt is a parody of something but I can’t quite work out what…full of extraordinary clarinet figurations and played very in a very virtuoso manner .
          On first listening I have to say this is a bit of a masterpiece and a wonderful performance . Ades is a great talent.”

Turns out there was a enthusiastic review in the Guardian that gives much of the background

Alchymia is Adès’ most substantial chamber work in over a decade, it revealed itself in this premiere to be one of his finest achievements of recent years

Also turns out that the “parody” is of a Wedekind song used by Berg in Lulu . I knew I’d heard it before but was racking my brains to remember where..

Comment

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
            I also found the Adès "Alchymia" quintet to be very beguiling and enjoyable - (but I did find the Rebecca Saunders premiere last Saturday more earth-moving). The Diotoma quartet contributed a lot, not least be playing quietly sometimes to let the (bass?) clarinet shine through. Adès seems to gain a lot of inspiration from some early music composers, and some moderns.
            Off topic slightly (to my great annoyance I fell asleep in the Ades -- nothing to do with the music!): where can I find the Rebecca Saunders? I find her music fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
              Off topic slightly (to my great annoyance I fell asleep in the Ades -- nothing to do with the music!): where can I find the Rebecca Saunders? I find her music fascinating.
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001075h Void actually dates back 7 years or so, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                I think it was a basset-horn rather than bass clarinet ..

Comment

Basset clarinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001075h Void actually dates back 7 years or so, though.
                    Thanks! Yes, 'Void' on Youtube I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X