Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get uptospeed with the recent Barenboim here....
    Hardly any other musician of our time has such an enormous repertoire as Daniel Barenboim. This is all the more remarkable as he continues his first career as a pianist in addition to his conducting career. At the age of only eight, Barenboim gave his first public performance in his native city of Buenos Aires in 1950. In 1967 he made his debut as a conductor, and in the years that followed, took on leading positions, including at the Orchestre de Paris, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and at La Scala. His numerous performances at the Bayreuth Festival are also legendary.

The interviews are free if you register, or get a 7/30-day pass for the concerts (at 320kbps aac (like R3) or lossless FLAC, though I haven't tried this 2021 upgrade yet) in the archive...live remains IIRC at 256 max...)
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-01-22, 21:26.

Comment

I admire Barenboim for NOT always beating at the air with a stick or with just his hands in his case! It is perfectly possible for a fine orchestra to do its stuff with a few facial expressions and a bit of body language from the conductor. This applies especially in a concerto where orchestral players listen even more sensitively to what is going on, and conductor-interference can be detrimental. Yes, a conductor may need to set a new tempo here and there or manage a rit, but when all is going like a train, excess energy just isn't needed.

There are exceptions. One is where a work is new to everybody and may have a lot of irregular barring. Another is where a scratch or amateur orchestra needs bit more in the way of cues and tempo unanimity.

I've been meaning to write a post on this subject for ages. Now seemed a good opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        I admire Barenboim for NOT always beating at the air with a stick or with just his hands in his case! It is perfectly possible for a fine orchestra to do its stuff with a few facial expressions and a bit of body language from the conductor. This applies especially in a concerto where orchestral players listen even more sensitively to what is going on, and conductor-interference can be detrimental. Yes, a conductor may need to set a new tempo here and there or manage a rit, but when all is going like a train, excess energy just isn't needed.

There are exceptions. One is where a work is new to everybody and may have a lot of irregular barring. Another is where a scratch or amateur orchestra needs bit more in the way of cues and tempo unanimity.

I've been meaning to write a post on this subject for ages. Now seemed a good opportunity.
        I agree. Barenboim did much the same with a Brahms 4 (?) at the Proms with the West-Eastern Divan - a much less experienced orchestra than the BPO - just shaping the opening phrases. In contrast a few prom seasons before he was much more “on the case “ in the Boulez Derives - and who can blame him?
        Echoing Jayne’s post I must have listened to his CSO Bruckner cycle several times in one of the lockdown and was very impressed.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Barenboim but I enjoyed the concert although I've heard performances of Spharenklange I prefer, especially from Boskovsky who conducted it with more affection than Barenboim imv.
          Last edited by gradus; 08-01-22, 19:31.

Comment

I recall a Proms concert with the VPO (Schubert 5, Bruckner 4) where they most definitely weren't watching Barenboim and the performance briefly came apart in the Bruckner.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              You are quite right he said seven weeks war which makes sense as the seven years war was mid 18th century but he definitely says Australia I have just watched it again.
              He did, but that's far from an unprecedented "tip of the slongue", as the Austrians themselves have learned to get some comic mileage out of that frequent-enough verbal slip over the years in T-shirts that I've seen in Austrian tourist shops, with words to the effect of "There are no kangaroos in Austria".

That aside, this New Year's Concert made for nice listening, certainly for a New Year's Day. I haven't watched any video of it yet (and there is one place that I should try to get to before it's too late), so I haven't seen the reported score scramble in 'The Blue Danube' on DB's part. It certainly didn't show in the playing, where once they get the downbeat, the VPO knows what to do (and deep down, Barenboim must realize this also), especially as the orchestra has already given 2 performances of the program each of the 2 days preceding. Just to pick one moment, it was kind of droll to hear the timbres of the ladies' voices in Carl Michael Ziehrer's Nachtschwärmer. Petroc did report the lady musicians' count as 10 for this concert.

I also make a habit of listening again to the ORF relay during the 7 days that ORF keeps the concert available on its website. One interesting feature to note was its presenter, Eva Teimel, who apparently got the call at the last minute after some sort of COVID-related situation took the originally scheduled ORF presenter, Albert Hosp, out of action, per this story:

Das schnellste Newsportal - Die Newsplattform heute.at berichtet täglich während 24 Stunden über alle News und Hintergründe aus Aktuell, Länder, Politik, Welt, Sport, Community, People, Szene, Digital, Wirtschaft, Jobs, Genuss, Gesundheit, Tiere, Science, Wohnen, Reisen, Fashion and Beauty, Love, Timeout, Gewinnen, Motor.

'Wie "Heute" erfuhr, brachte bei Radio Ö1 ein positiver Corona-Fall die ganze Produktion in Wackeln.

"Eigentlich hätte Albert Hosp moderieren sollen", wusste ein Insider am Samstag im Gespäch mit "Heute", "aber aufgrund eines positiven Corona-Falls musste das ganze Team, das für die Sendung zuständig war, kurzfristig ausgetauscht werden. Es ist dann Eva Teimel eingesprungen", so der Insider.'

('As "Heute" learned, a positive Corona case on Radio Ö1 shook up the entire production.

"Actually, Albert Hosp should have moderated," an insider said in an interview with "Heute" on Saturday, "but due to a positive Corona case, the whole team responsible for the show had to be replaced at short notice. It's then Eva Teimel jumped in," the insider said.')
              I started listening to the VPO New Year's concerts via American public radio back to the mid 1980's, when Ernst Grissemann was the ORF presenter. In all the years since, I don't recall the ORF presenter ever being a woman, until this year. So another glass ceiling may quietly have been broken without anyone planning it. Eva Teimel did a pretty good job, AFAICT, given that I don't speak German and maybe only grasped every 8th word or so. But she didn't talk over any of the selections (Petroc unintentionally got caught out once, at the start of Josef Hellmesberger Jr.'s "Kleiner Anzeiger"), and didn't show any obvious signs of nerves. Maybe she'll be back in the ORF presenter's box next year.

Comment

Working...
              X