Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaughan Williams' Centenary - really?

So, I did hear correctly. This evenings concert presenter said more than once that this is RVW's centenary year (which she mispronounced "cenTENNary").

No it isn't. It's his sesquicentenary.

Really, can't the BBC get the simplest thing right these days? Does it any longer employ anybody who knows what they are talking about?

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
    … (which she mispronounced "cenTENNary").
    Is that the US pronunciation?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Well it’s not the Cornish! (Cent’nery)

Whatever, I enjoyed the first half of the concert - I’ll listen to Side 2 later!

Comment

I was shocked to hear on Radio 3 some years ago that Vaughan Williams 'was conscripted' in the Great War. This , I felt , was a seriously misleading error'

When Conscription was introduced it applied to unmarried men up to and including the age of 40. VW was a married man of 43 so would have been exempt, but in any case he had volunteered in 1914.

I think the main, if not the only, purpose of giving biographocal information in a music programme is to enhance the enjoyment and understanding of the music. In this case , there is a huge and important difference between what was said and the facts. VW could easily have ignored the war, as did Bax and Ireland, or found himself a safe job, like Adrian Boult . His enlistment tells us something aboiut his attitude to life and the world, so I felt it important to get it right. .

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Both variants given in the Concise Oxford, with no distinction to UK or US.
          And we say cenTENNial.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            I was shocked to hear on Radio 3 some years ago that Vaughan Williams 'was conscripted' in the Great War. This , I felt , was a seriously misleading error'

When Conscription was introduced it applied to unmarried men up to and including the age of 40. VW was a married man of 43 so would have been exempt, but in any case he had volunteered in 1914.

I think the main, if not the only, purpose of giving biographocal information in a music programme is to enhance the enjoyment and understanding of the music. In this case , there is a huge and important difference between what was said and the facts. VW could easily have ignored the war, as did Bax and Ireland, or found himself a safe job, like Adrian Boult . His enlistment tells us something aboiut his attitude to life and the world, so I felt it important to get it right. .
            Yes indeed . This brief outline of his WW1 career shows what a remarkable man he was . This is from the Dorking Museum

“ Over 40 when the war began, Vaughan Williams enlisted with the special constabulary and then with the Royal Army Medical Corps as a wagon orderly. In 1915 his unit was billeted in Dorking for three months.

Vaughan Williams was ungainly in khaki, had flat feet, and was unsuited to the regimentation of army life. On one occasion he played the popular song ‘Make your Mind up Maggie MacKenzie’ on the organ as the men took their seats for church parade at St Martin’s. On another he agreed to play for a volunteer choir from his unit. Choir and organist were marched to St Martin’s under command of an officer. Once there Vaughan Williams forgot that he was in the army and assumed command over officers, sergeants and men alike.

Later Vaughan Williams formed a band with instruments bought from the profits of the canteen. But he did not take part in concert parties, which would have seen him excused of other duties, saying that they were doing well enough without him.

Vaughan Williams went on to serve as a stretcher bearer in France and Salonika. In December 1917 he was commissioned as a second Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Exposure to gunfire began the hearing loss that lead to deafness in old age. In 1918 he was appointed Director of Music, First Army.”

Comment

Thank you. Forget what I said in another thread about the negative impact of composer biographies. Everything I hear about RVW makes me think better of him, as a man and a musician.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                Thank you. Forget what I said in another thread about the negative impact of composer biographies. Everything I hear about RVW makes me think better of him, as a man and a musician.

Comment

VW's enlisting as a stretcher-bearer is mentioned quite freqently on Radio 3 when his military service is discussed. The rather more bellicose role in the RGA rather less so for some reason. He was highly-respected by his colleagues for his uncomplaining efforts in what was a very physically demanding and dangerous position as a stretcher-bearer, especially considering that, although physically fit (a great walker), he was considerably older than many of the men he was working alongside.

Agree with Master Jaques and SA: the more I hear the more I like. For example, VW was a great fan of biscuits I believe (although I can't find the reference).

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    VW's enlisting as a stretcher-bearer is mentioned quite freqently on Radio 3 when his military service is discussed. The rather more bellicose role in the RGA rather less so for some reason. He was highly-respected by his colleagues for his uncomplaining efforts in what was a very physically demanding and dangerous position as a stretcher-bearer, especially considering that, although physically fit (a great walker), he was considerably older than many of the men he was working alongside.

Agree with Master Jaques and SA: the more I hear the more I like. For example, VW was a great fan of biscuits I believe (although I can't find the reference).
                    As you say it is worth noting that being a stretcher bearer was no soft option . Their casualty rates were on a par with infantry. Exploding shells do not discriminate between active soldiers and medics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                      As you say it is worth noting that being a stretcher bearer was no soft option . Their casualty rates were on a par with infantry. Exploding shells do not discriminate between active soldiers and medics.
                      There was a fair number of English composers to be killed in the Great War. Is it possible that British Music would turned in a significantly different direction had they survived?

Comment

Certainly the music completed by Butterworth, Farrar and others before they were killed showed no sign that they weren't capable of moving on to write 'post-war' music as did VW, Ravel, Bridge, etc. We can only guess what they might have done.

Comment

Working...
                        X