Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed this concert immensely. Could it be Suzy Klein’s new role is bearing fruit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      Suffice to say cutting to the piccolo nose picking while the clarinet plays an exquisite solo would not generally be reckoned a triumph.
      Absolutely!

I didn't know that there was such interest in such detail.

Comment

I think it's their dogma that there must always be chat and camera movement, where concerts usually involve a lot of sitting still listening.
        I thought the chat was quite minimal on this programme. As for camera movement, I thought they did it very well. It's fair enough not just to have a single static camera 'sitting in the auditorium'. After all, an audience member will always be moving his/her gaze to sections of the orchestra or to a particular instrument. Wish we could have more of this music content on the Beeb.

Comment

Have to see about catching up!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Tonight’s Summer Concert from Vienna one of best yet with fantastic playing responding to superb conducting. Lovely visuals with a French flavour.

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
              Tonight’s Summer Concert from Vienna one of best yet with fantastic playing responding to superb conducting. Lovely visuals with a French flavour.
              I watched most of it and very much enjoyed it - a lovely distraction and brain re-set from some tiresome things I had been dealing with during the day. I am not one for the kind of vocal numbers that were included(really not into opera) but I have to say the soloist last night had me hooked - all the drama but without the wobble and dodgy tuning that so often seems to come with it(I did say I wasn't a fan...) I didn't catch her name and no BBC info online about the programme as to music played, performers etc.

Comment

Radio Times has the details of performers. The singer was Elina Garanca.

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                  Just caught up with it on iPlayer and couldn't agree more. I found Bolero absolutely thrilling!

Comment

The BBC NOW with Beethoven 5 was pretty good a couple of nights ago. Despite the hype I didn't really like the other pieces much, and of course there was the gushing commentary. The only really sensible thing I heard was that the opening of B5 does have a rest before the "fate" motif - see https://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP1586.jpg - though whether that makes a difference to performances I don't know. The first three notes don't seem to be accented either - but there is a pause in the next (2/4) bar.

Comment

Conductors have played with those four notes as much as actors have varied their delivery of 'To be or not to be'. Some have made the first three sound like a triplet, instead of three quavers with the (slight) stress on the second.And the second-world-war association brought a heavy emphasis on the whole phrase which today would, I think, sound over-rhetorical.

Comment

Working...
                      X