Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marmen Quartet - Stoller Hall, Manchester. [Feb. 20, 2023]

A quartet that is new to me but is ten years old, formed ten years ago at the RCM. The programme sold it to me -

Haydn - Quartet in C, Op. 50/2
    Webern - Five Movements, Op.5
    Cage - Four
    Beethoven - Op. 131

Whilst not exactly a history of the string quartet it comes pretty close in terms of how the genre has developed. Some two hundred years separate the Haydn [1787] and the Cage [1989], and it is interesting to note that when Webern wrote his piece in 1909 he was closer in time to the writing of the Beethoven Op. 131 [1826], than we are to Webern... The Haydn was beautiful, lively, and jaunty, the leader Johannes Marmen also soaring in the lyrical moments. Hearing Haydn live reminds me of why I love him so much, he never fails to raise the spirits. The value of the live performance hit home to an even greater extent in the Webern. Some of the sounds are intentionally barely audible, and serve as a contrast to the intense, complex and brutal sounds. The playing was just as passionate as for the Haydn, managing to create a mood of eeriness and apprehension. A recorded version of the piece would struggle to replicate this. The Cage extended this feeling of introspection and close listening, and this performance had brief moments of quiet beauty which will never of course be repeated. The players made a bit of a show of pressing the screens on their mobile phones to ensure the correct timing - I found this a little showy and unnecessary. After the interval came the Beethoven. It was a pleasure to hear as always but I felt it lacked a little heft at certain moments, but that's a very minor quibble. This is a great ensemble, full of passion and energy, and the Stoller Hall is a perfect venue for chamber music with outstanding acoustics. If/when the Marmens launch their recording career I hope that they maintain their commitment to the complete range of the repertoire.

Yes a quartet new to me too and as you say of the performances were very good and the acoustic far better in my opinion to the former venue at the RNCM.

I thought the Haydn, a quartet new to me, could have been a touch more robust to bring out the humour a little more. The Webern I know well, through the Quartetto Italiano recording and have heard it live 6 times before, and I agree it was a really passionate performance, those pppp passages and the outbursts. In contrast the Cage was I am sorry to say for me just a collection of pleasant enough sounds, interesting but not more.

The Beethoven had some wonderful playing, the final Adagio in particular and the last movement so tight, the leader has a beautiful tone but all the players are all excellent individuals who play as a team, I enjoyed the duets between Cello and Viola in the Beethoven which I have never noticed so much before, but there is so always much in this work, and this was a very good performance and feel this quartet can only get better, certainly a name to watch.

The next and final concert of the year has a programme that also attracts me, Haydn Op. 33/4, Weinberg 6 and Beethoven Op.59/1, the Arcadia Quartet, sadly I will miss it as I am away, but I strongly recommend the Stoller Hall and the Manchester Chamber Music Society.

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly kuligin that the Stoller Hall is pretty much perfect for this repertoire. The proximity to Victoria Station also a real bonus!

Comment

Working...
      X