Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kavakos, Noseda, NYP

I am in New York and last night heard Shostakovich VC1, Respighi Roman Fountains and a work by George Walker. The Respighi isn’t a particular favorite of mine so for me the Concert had peaked by the interval. The Shostakovich was very good, a little less nightmarish in I than the norm but hugely exciting thereafter.
    Geofence Hall is a huge improvement over its predecessor. One can now hear low strings and brass. The growls of the tuba in the Passacaglia and the shading of it’s dynamics were easy to catch, and the Respighi and the Walker couldn’t be better showpieces for the hall and the Orchestra

Sounds good rfg. I don't know the Shostakovich well but, unlike you, I love the Respighi and am envious about the responsiveness (is that the word?) of the new concert hall which I was not aware of previously. Was the Walker piece the 'Lyric for Strings' by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Sounds good rfg. I don't know the Shostakovich well but, unlike you, I love the Respighi and am envious about the responsiveness (is that the word?) of the new concert hall which I was not aware of previously. Was the Walker piece the 'Lyric for Strings' by any chance?
      Sinfonia Number One

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        Sinfonia Number One
        Thank you very much: will go and seek it out to have a listen. Mentioned the Lyric because that's one of the few Walker pieces I know.
        Kavakos is always worth a listen isn't he.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Thank you very much: will go and seek it out to have a listen. Mentioned the Lyric because that's one of the few Walker pieces I know.
          Kavakos is always worth a listen isn't he.
          He certainly is. I didn’t much care for the Walker, which sounded like a generic mid century avant-garde academic work to me

Comment

Working...
          X