Are these the highest ever prices for a Philharmonia RFH concert ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these the highest ever prices for a Philharmonia RFH concert ?

I promised in this inflationary times I wouldn’t be like my late dear Grandmother and complain about rising prices. But idly scrolling through the RFH site last night I saw that the top price tickets for an upcoming Philharmonia concert at the RFH are a stratospheric £115. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN POUNDS . And much of of the front stalls appears to be priced at this level.
    It includes the Beethoven Triple with Kanneh - Mason , Grosvenor and Benedetti - described in the blurb as “superstars” . The power of marketing I guess but £115 for one of LVB ‘s weaker works. I mean really . Needless to say it’s a near sellout - mind you they are doing Ein Heldenleben in the second half. Now that’s a proper classic.

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    I promised in this inflationary times I wouldn’t be like my late dear Grandmother and complain about rising prices. But idly scrolling through the RFH site last night I saw that the top price tickets for an upcoming Philharmonia concert at the RFH are a stratospheric £115. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN POUNDS . And much of of the front stalls appears to be priced at this level.
    It includes the Beethoven Triple with Kanneh - Mason , Grosvenor and Benedetti - described in the blurb as “superstars” . The power of marketing I guess but £115 for one of LVB ‘s weaker works. I mean really . Needless to say it’s a near sellout - mind you they are doing Ein Heldenleben in the second half. Now that’s a proper classic.
    You're paying for the name(s) as they say about designer clothes?

Comment

I had spotted this same concert a few weeks while casting an eye over Basingstoke Anvil schedule. Not going but would be much cheaper there and probably a better acoustic.
      https://www.anvilarts.org.uk/whats-o...-07-06-23#main

Comment

I imagine that it's not unlike the Royal Opera House, with the best seats being priced for those who see attending such a concert as an 'event' rather than for musical reasons.

That said, you mentioned that the concert was nearly sold out (how many will stay for the Strauss I wonder?) and that is very good news for the Phil. Like all the London (and other British) orchestras they are having a tough time since Covid etc. and there is less work about. I agree that it is frustrating but economically it makes sense for the Philharmonia I imagine.

Comment

Well, it’s a bargain compared to what Taylor Swift concert prices are. My brother in law in Rhode Island is massively unhappy currently with his wife and and daughter who bought a pair for $1K each.
          The price you quoted is what the wife and I pay for of our CSO tickets in our series. The topic with every drive to a concert is if we will continue to do so when we fully retire.
          And before you dismiss my Taylor Swift comment as a non sequiter, I do believe that when a pop artist can command those kind of ticket prices, it does have an effect on the pricing of all tickets

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            Well, it’s a bargain compared to what Taylor Swift concert prices are. My brother in law in Rhode Island is massively unhappy currently with his wife and and daughter who bought a pair for $1K each.
            The price you quoted is what the wife and I pay for of our CSO tickets in our series. The topic with every drive to a concert is if we will continue to do so when we fully retire.
            And before you dismiss my Taylor Swift comment as a non sequiter, I do believe that when a pop artist can command those kind of ticket prices, it does have an effect on the pricing of all tickets
            Not a non sequitur at all . The difference with Taylor is that like Beyonće she is one of a kind - irreplaceable. The same doesn’t apply to the “superstars” in the classical world . You are hearing the original artist playing their own compositions with TS . I guess the CSO tickets are that pricey because every one in the States appears to earn more than the UK . I read all the Met Opera Orchestra earn over $100,000 per year. l also read that a one bedroom in Manhattan is about $3 - 4,000 per month so they obvs need it.
            Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 22-05-23, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              I had spotted this same concert a few weeks while casting an eye over Basingstoke Anvil schedule. Not going but would be much cheaper there and probably a better acoustic.
              https://www.anvilarts.org.uk/whats-o...-07-06-23#main
              That’s more like it . Sanity in Basingstoke .

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                You're paying for the name(s) as they say about designer clothes?
                Yes pretty much what I thought.

Comment

Indeed, Basingstoke has been a byword for sanity, since Sir Despard used it as the vade mecum to calm down Mad Margaret in Ruddigore: "Now, now, Margaret. Basingstoke, my dear. You know - Basingstoke!"

Comment

Anvil,prices are pretty steep IMO generally, though on this occasion a good saving on the RFH. It is usually the other way round.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

It would be interesting to know whether those people have paid full price for those tickets, though.

Even bottom-priced Philharmonia tickets are a stretch for me now - they are 50% higher than LPO ones.

Comment

Talking of inflated prices, I see that the new production of Das Rheingold at the Royal Opera House in September has a top price of £325. It is, I think, the first time they have broken the £300 barrier for a standard opera performance (its possible they have previously charged a similar price for a gala performance).

This seems like a pretty bold pricing strategy to me, especially as its not really a star-laden cast - Christopher Maltman as Wotan is probably the biggest 'name' in the cast, and I'm not sure his is the first name that would spring to mind for Wotan. The director, Barrie Kosky, is also a bit of an acquired taste, and I'm not sure the people who can afford those prices will appreciate his likely approach to the Ring. I guess they are relying on Pappano beginning a new Ring Cycle to be enough of a draw to justify such a steep increase.

For comparison, top price tickets for Werther in July are £255 and that's with Jonas Kaufmann in the cast. The other operas in Autumn are more in line with the Opera House's normal pricing.
                        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                          Talking of inflated prices, I see that the new production of Das Rheingold at the Royal Opera House in September has a top price of £325. It is, I think, the first time they have broken the £300 barrier for a standard opera performance (its possible they have previously charged a similar price for a gala performance).

This seems like a pretty bold pricing strategy to me, especially as its not really a star-laden cast - Christopher Maltman as Wotan is probably the biggest 'name' in the cast, and I'm not sure his is the first name that would spring to mind for Wotan. The director, Barrie Kosky, is also a bit of an acquired taste, and I'm not sure the people who can afford those prices will appreciate his likely approach to the Ring. I guess they are relying on Pappano beginning a new Ring Cycle to be enough of a draw to justify such a steep increase.

For comparison, top price tickets for Werther in July are £255 and that's with Jonas Kaufmann in the cast. The other operas in Autumn are more in line with the Opera House's normal pricing.
                          I have a theory that there is a Ring premium. They know that there are enough Wagner addicts around to ensure a sell out no matter what they charge.

Comment

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                            Even bottom-priced Philharmonia tickets are a stretch for me now - they are 50% higher than LPO ones.
                            Sorry, I should correct that: I thought their bottom price was £10, but it appears it was £14 for the current season, so little difference between the two orchestras.

Comment

Taylor Swift is playing concerts in Chicago this weekend. We have our final CSO concert of our yearly series tonight. I received an automated phone call from the CSO yesterday “Due to a popular concert event this weekend, allow extra time for transportation, and the (usual parking sites) are unavailable.” I wonder if people who have Taylor Swift tickets received a similar call “Due to the Chicago Symphony Concert this weekend, allow extra time….”

Comment

Working...
                              X