Martha Argerich Beethoven Piano Concerto No 1 on Through The Night .

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martha Argerich Beethoven Piano Concerto No 1 on Through The Night .

Discussed ny Nick and EH on the Malofeev thread I thought it might be worth a thread on its own so more people get to hear it .

Considering the ordinary concerts they often play in the afternoon this Lausanne Festival Orchestra concert conducted by Rene Capucon deserves more attention.

I have only heard the Prokofiev and this so far. Beethoven 1 is the piece in which I think Argerich is at her greatest . I heard her play it with the Manchester Camerata at the Manchester Piano Festival about 10 years ago and it was one of the best and most memorable concerts I have ever been too . Her dialogue with the wind in the slow movement was magical - and here she is at 81 in Lausanne( she will be 82 on Monday ) playing it as if she was half her age. A perennially fresh account and very well accompanied and conducted too.

It is available on BBC Sounds for 24 days .

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Discussed ny Nick and EH on the Malofeev thread I thought it might be worth a thread on its own so more people get to hear it .

Considering the ordinary concerts they often play in the afternoon this Lausanne Festival Orchestra concert conducted by Rene Capucon deserves more attention.

I have only heard the Prokofiev and this so far. Beethoven 1 is the piece in which I think Argerich is at her greatest . I heard her play it with the Manchester Camerata at the Manchester Piano Festival about 10 years ago and it was one of the best and most memorable concerts I have ever been too . Her dialogue with the wind in the slow movement was magical - and here she is at 81 in Lausanne( she will be 82 on Monday ) playing it as if she was half her age. A perennially fresh account and very well accompanied and conducted too.

It is available on BBC Sounds for 24 days .
    Absolutely agree that it deserves a higher profile outing. According to the intro she also played it on her debut at the age of 8 ! Has any one ever before sustained such a long pianistic career at this level of accomplishment ? Usually with pianists in their 80’s one is having to forgive the odd technical slip but this needed no such indulgence. She really is a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      Absolutely agree that it deserves a higher profile outing. According to the intro she also played it on her debut at the age of 8 ! Has any one ever before sustained such a long pianistic career at this level of accomplishment ? Usually with pianists in their 80’s one is having to forgive the odd technical slip but this needed no such indulgence. She really is a miracle.
      Yes, she’s wonderful. The violinist Nathan Milstein was still playing at an extremely high level in his 80’s.

Comment

Much enjoying the performance (assisted by a Kir - it's after 6pm here on the continent). Thanks to all for highlighting its existence. TTN often seems rather unfairly to be a bit of a backwater for performances by lesser-known - but not in any way sub-fusc - ensembles and soloists. Not this PC1, though.

Comment

I've only just twigged that TTN is not some broadcaster I don't have access to, but Through the Night! Which night was it please?

Comment

We heard her play this in Oxford at the end of March. I had hoped that she could still conjure some magic and in a way she did. Two Bach gavottes as encores.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
              I've only just twigged that TTN is not some broadcaster I don't have access to, but Through the Night! Which night was it please?
              Sat 27th 15 minutes in

Comment

I heard her play that Concerto perhaps 10 years ago. I haven’t been keeping up with her recent recordings as mostly they seem to be chamber music and of repertoire that she had already duplicated

Comment

There's freshness to it nevertheless, and, as a reviewer said about a Manchester performance a few years ago, the clarinet player will remember and treasure those moments of dialogue (the latter part of the slow movement) for the rest of his life!

Comment

Marvellous - on the to be listened to list

Comment

Another TTN piano gem from early Saturday. 58 minutes in

03:58 AM Fryderyk Chopin (1810-1849) 12 Studies Op 25 for piano Lukas Geniusas

Listened to it half volume while watching the Cup Final and kept turning it up.

You can tell just from the opening A Flat “harp” etude Lukas is a superb player.

Comment

Working...
                      X