Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Cardiff Singer of the World 2023

I've watched only the Song Prize Final - my money was on Siphokazi Molteno - but the jury had other ideas.

Presumably others are watching...? AFAIK we have no thread yet!

I’ve been watching but - spoiler alert - have not seen the final round of the main competition or the song prize final . I have a few doubts about the structure of this competition as it struck me that all 4 singers in round three were better singers than any in round 2 including the eventual winner. That tenor Mr Kim , the Swedish soprano and the baritone should all have got through. It doesn’t matter as they are all going to have big careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      I’ve been watching but - spoiler alert - have not seen the final round of the main competition or the song prize final . I have a few doubts about the structure of this competition as it struck me that all 4 singers in round three were better singers than any in round 2 including the eventual winner. That tenor Mr Kim , the Swedish soprano and the baritone should all have got through. It doesn’t matter as they are all going to have big careers.
      Yes, I have serious reservations about the structure of the finals. Pot luck, I presume, as to which four are paired together each time. Could the jury just not hear all 16 before choosing thair 4 + 1 finalists?

Comment

I also enjoyed a lot the two Masterclasses I have seen so far - led by Rosemary Joshua and Anna Tilbrook. There are two more.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
          Yes, I have serious reservations about the structure of the finals. Pot luck, I presume, as to which four are paired together each time. Could the jury just not hear all 16 before choosing thair 4 + 1 finalists?
          I think they try and mix the voices in each round but the inherent unfairness was very apparent to me .

Comment

Siphokazi Molteno

I think she is a very strong contender for the final.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Siphokazi Molteno

I think she is a very strong contender for the final.
              Bravo for the bass winner who was probably the best singing actor . Siphokazi was my favourite and her Rossini was the best singing of all .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                Bravo for the bass winner who was probably the best singing actor . Siphokazi was my favourite and her Rossini was the best singing of all .
                Yes, Siphokazi’s Rossini was the best of the night. The bass stressed words over music a little too much form my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                  Yes, Siphokazi’s Rossini was the best of the night. The bass stressed words over music a little too much form my liking.
                  I felt that, as a native Italian, the bass showed us exactly how his language should be sung.
                  I don't think that the Vocalise did its singer any favours, but overall we had a splendid set of competitors, all of whom deserve to do well in their future careers.

Comment

I'm afraid I didn't think any stood out as 'World Class' (apart from possibly the two South Africans) and was suprised at choice of winner. The clips of earlier winners, I thought, stood way above above recent finalists - but what do I know! To say nothing about the amount of 'gush' from the presenters! Fair dues to the BBC for continuing to support the venture but is it really the world's premiere singing competition? (Maybe I got out of the wrong side of bed this morning). Remember this.....

Comment

Might be of interest https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...vocal-delights
                      I didn't follow it this year so have nothing to add.

Comment

Rebecca Franks in The Times:

Comment

Working...
                        X