X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Aldebugh Festival 2012

The brochure is now available in electronic form on http://www.aldeburgh.co.uk. Featured composers include Bartok (all the quartets plus sonata for 2 pianos and percussion - hooray!) and Helmut Lachenmann. Of Lachenmann's music I confess I know nothing. Does anyone here have any helpful pointers?

Oh, and I am sure that some here will be interested in the European premiere of Ives's Universe Symphony along with quite a bit more Ives.

Apologies for mis-typing this thread title!
    Last edited by rauschwerk; 20-01-12, 10:24. Reason: Afterthought
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
    The brochure is now available in electronic form on http://www.aldeburgh.co.uk. Featured composers include Bartok (all the quartets plus sonata for 2 pianos and percussion - hooray!) and Helmut Lachenmann. Of Lachenmann's music I confess I know nothing. Does anyone here have any helpful pointers?
    Lachenmann: born 1935. Pianist and composer. Studied composition with Nono. Taught composition in Hanover and Stuttgart. Has published a number of writings on the post-war German avant-garde.

A short quote from Grove:

"Lachenmann's principal aim in his development of musique concrète instrumentale was not merely to extend the repertory of available sounds along the lines of the discussions of the 1950s and 60s on the concept of musical material, or to shock the listener by the ‘alienation’ of the familiar sound of the instrument. Instead, the composer's intention was to explore a new sound world and to create compelling and logical musical works based predominantly on sonorities which had remained unused and hence uncontaminated in the past. The musical instrument, as the quintessence of its many sound-generating possibilities, is effectively reinvented in the process."

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

Thanks, but are there some soundbites anywhere?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        Thanks, but are there some soundbites anywhere?
        Plenty on youTube, rausch: some with "videos" of the scores.

(One of my favourite composers, by the way: thoroughly recommended! - Even Simon likes him!!!! )
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          (One of my favourite composers, by the way: thoroughly recommended! - Even Simon likes him!!!! )
          Strange - as I read the extract from Groves I thought 'That'll go down like a bucket of cold sick with some on the Board' & Simon was one of the members I had in mind!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Well, alright, "likes" is probably pushing it: he's on record for having heard Lachenmann's Mouvement ( - vor der Erstarrung) and actively not disliked it!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X