X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

We can't go back to the old days because fashions have changed,those marvellous broadcasters are no more.

But what about demanding, well asking, for one phoneless, tweetless, email us-less day a week and see what happens to the figures? With, of course, more music, less chat.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      We can't go back to the old days because fashions have changed,those marvellous broadcasters are no more.

But what about demanding, well asking, for one phoneless, tweetless, email us-less day a week and see what happens to the figures? With, of course, more music, less chat.
      an even better idea - as usual - with statistical significance too!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
        • Nov 2010

Anton:
        This is the nub and thrust of DracoM's post. The BBC have become fixated by audience figures and in so doing have lost the basic ethos of what R3 should be about. It is this constant search for ever larger listening figures (in some sense mirroring the catastrophic search for constant annual growth in the country's spending) that has brought the station to where it is today.
        Now, whether I or DracoM or Norfolkborn or Andrew Slater no longer listen to long stretches of R3's output (7-12 and 4.30-6.30) because of the empty blether and oft regurgitated "best tunes" is neither here nor there. What is more important in the wider cultural life of this country is that, in my opinion, a golden seam of literary and musical heritage stretching back centuries is being systematically downmarketed (please excuse the phrase) to become "all inclusive". in the process just becomes another piece of broadcast musical wallpaper that exists for no other reason that it can be turned on/off at any time because like the no.9 bus there will another one coming round the corner any time soon.
        O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          R3 went back to where it was in the 70s(?)
          That isn't the only alternative. What is being questioned is that, in order to 'move with the times', Radio 3 has to replicate the template of popular radio (not a little dating back to the 1970s).

a golden seam of literary and musical heritage
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

...er did not want to start a new thread so here is where i want to say thanks and express my amazement at the efforts made by ff on behalf of the cause [prompted by her latest newsletter]

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Major column in weekend Grauniad / Observer about Patten and his first year or so of tenure. This forum even gets a mention in the comments section, I notice.

Comment

Working...
              X