• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Radio3 Live in Concert

Following an idea by Cornucopia and prompted by Alison, this Thread is to invite the sort of discussion about the evening concerts broadcast during the week that regularly occurs during the Proms season.

To start the ball rolling, did anyone listen to the evening concert on Friday? An unusual programme, a new Violin Concerto by Rebecca Saunders sandwiched between popular works by Dvorak and Tchaikovsky. I wasn't entirely convinced by the performance of the new work - having heard Saunders' work played so well by groups such as Elision and musikFabrik, this seemed rather tame and self-conscious playing by the BBCSO. This Music thrives on pitting very fragile, gentle sounds against violent, explosive Music with the point being that the quiet Music "wins" at the end, calmly weathering the storm thrown at it. If the Musicicians don't give the noisy Music all they've got, the result can be (as I thought it was here) a series of "ho-hum" events.

But perhaps it wasn't the orchestra's fault: the performance of the Tchaikovsky Fifth after the interval suggested that the conductor (Lionel Bringuier, whom I don't think I've heard before) preferred a lyrical rather than a dramatic approach to the work. No bad thing (even if I wouldn't want to hear it played this way too often) as it at least avoided the histrionics that can come with the alternative way of playing it. Beautifully judged string balance at the start of the Slow Movement, too: a pity so many in the audience forgot to bring handkerchiefs to mute their coughs!

Still available on "Listen Again" if you missed it: worth seeking out.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Roehre

I looked forward to the Saunders concerto, but I must admit that I was a bit disappointed.

I am not sure whether it is the music itself, or the performance, but having listened twice to "Still" I am still having the impression that there is a lot of wrapping (interesting wrapping, but nevertheless...) around an otherwise rather empty box. But, having listened to Dvorak's Carnaval overture first, the possibillity that not positve impression is not caused by the music but by the performance.

As Cornucopia already mentioned elsewhere, the conductor was IMO not really in command of his orchestra in this work.
    Though Tchaikovsky 5 is my favourite, I haven't listened to it and have no opinion re this piece therefore.

Comment

• Don Petter

I caught a small 'window' on the Friday concert coming home in the car. The joy was the latter half of Stephen Johnson's Discovering Music talk about Tchaikovsky's Fifth in the interval. Wonderful to hear fascinating and intelligent output like this, which it seems is becoming more rare in the present schedules.*

Only a few minutes of the start of the Symphony itself, so not really able to comment on it.

* This seemed much more useful than the interval the previous Friday, when Martin Handley's interview with H K Gruber (who sounded rather like Hoffnung's Dr Domgraf-Fassbaender discussing Bruno Heinz Jaja) seemed to be driven by statements from Handley, rather than questions.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

It will be really good to get some discussion going again on evening concerts.

Concerts relays from the RFH went missing for a few years and it's lovely to
        hear the Royal Philharmonic featuring again.

I found the Gatti Sixth much more involving than the Elder Seventh.

Stephen Johnsons talk on Tchaikovsky 5? Sorry - rambling and inconsequential IMHO !!

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I am suffering from tinnitus/deafness at the moment so feel I shouldn't comment, but I enjoyed the Tchaikovsky 5 the other evening, didn't like the new work much. Whether my hearing, the performance,or was it really so 'bitty' - I don't know? Missed the overture too.
          If iPlayer is working well my best bet is to listen in the morning to the previous evening's live concert.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            I ... didn't like the new work much. Whether my hearing, the performance,or was it really so 'bitty' - I don't know?
            Difficult to say, sals: but it did sound "bitty". Maybe the broadcast didn't "catch" the power of the performance, or maybe it was just underpowered, but, for a piece originally called Rage this just sounded A Bit Miffed!

If iPlayer is working well my best bet is to listen in the morning to the previous evening's live concert.
            My preference, too.

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

My own feeling is that the balance largely favoured the soloist in the Rebecca Saunders' work having been set to accommodate the Dvorak and Tchaikovsky as far as the orchestra was concerned. In the Saunders the string section sounds as if it is in another place whereas it sounded more realistic in the other works. I usually find Bringuier a terrific young conductor, as shown in the Dvorak, but there was an over-romantic approach to the Tchaikovsky (dare I say like many of the Russian conductors in the Soviet era?): if there were times when it seemed a trifle improvisatory I suspect that the Saunders ate into the rehearsal time. Also the orchestra has had (for the BBCSO) an unusually heavy schedule recently. With Belohlavec's brilliant rendition of The Jacobin still coursing in their veins such knife-edge Dvorak playing was to be expected.

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I'n still not sure how this thread works Ferney. Am I allowed to mention the enjoyable concert on Monday night, given at the Cadagon Hall by the Camerata Salzburg, conductor Tomas Hanus. Hilary Hahn played the Mozart Violin Concerto no 4,K218 and the all-Mozart programme also contained the Divertimento in F,K138 , the Adagio for violin and orchestra, K261 and the Symphony no 29in A,K201.
                I've put it on the hard drive to listen again later. Did anyone else enjoy it, well known works though they were?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I'n still not sure how this thread works Ferney. Am I allowed to mention the enjoyable concert on Monday night, given at the Cadagon Hall by the Camerata Salzburg, conductor Tomas Hanus?
                  Absolutely, sals! I was going to "flag" this event if no one else did (and if anyone wants to comment on tonight's choral concert, please do).

The point of the thread is to discuss the evening concerts in the sort of way that we do the Prom concerts. With luck, comments will draw attention to concerts others might have missed, encouraging them to "Listen Again".

Comment

• Osborn

I enjoyed that as well, Salymap. All the violin concertos are a delight & No. 4 probably my favourite -exuberant, unpretentious, elegant - joyful music making that was well served by Hilary Hahn & the Camerata. I have a soft spot for symphony 29 - it always puts me in a better mood!

Just to flag what should be a memorable concert on Fri (17 Feb) - New York Phil under Alan Gilbert - particularly Berlioz's ravishing Nuits d'ete sung by the ravishing Joyce DiDonato:

(some here may recall that Gilbert got a lot of press coverage for stopping in mid-performance & publicly berating & humiliating the owner of a ringing phone - expect a quiet, attentive audience!)
                    Last edited by Guest; 18-02-12, 14:26. Reason: typo

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

I'n still not sure how this thread works Ferney. Am I allowed to mention the enjoyable concert on Monday night, given at the Cadagon Hall by the Camerata Salzburg, conductor Tomas Hanus. Hilary Hahn played the Mozart Violin Concerto no 4,K218 and the all-Mozart programme also contained the Divertimento in F,K138 , the Adagio for violin and orchestra, K261 and the Symphony no 29in A,K201.
                      I've put it on the hard drive to listen again later. Did anyone else enjoy it, well known works though they were?
                      I've been listening this evening and very enjoyable it was too.I'd not heard no 29 in years , it was like meeting a long lost friend.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        I've been listening this evening and very enjoyable it was too.I'd not heard no 29 in years , it was like meeting a long lost friend.
                        I listened from the start, last night, but gave up quite early in the 4th Violin Concerto. I was very tired and I think it was probably the Divertimento that effectively put me off. Whether by Wolfgang or his dad, it's not a work I have much time for. I will give the rest of the concert a try, later tonight.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I enjoyed the Camerata Saltzburg, be it a day late. Like salymap I was pleased to meet the long lost friend (Symphony No 29) at the end. It is the first real mature Mozart as far as I am concerned where turns of phrase catch you unawares even after many hearings. Although essentially upbeat it has something sinister running just under the surface. I much appreciated the Ronald Brautigam recital which followed.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Could anyone give me the name ofthe composer of the rather attractive Wind Octet played in the interval of Monday's Camerata Salzburg concert? Sorry,just couldn't hear it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Could anyone give me the name ofthe composer of the rather attractive Wind Octet played in the interval of Monday's Camerata Salzburg concert? Sorry,just couldn't hear it.
                              Josef Myslivecek, Octet in Eb, sals.

Comment

Working...
                              X