X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born
    • Jun 2024

Lunchtime Concert 12.03.2012

Another excellent concert, I thought, with a well thought-out programme. The Schumann 'Papillons' was the ideal contrast to the Prokofiev and Rachmaninov sonatas.
  • amateur51

Today's live Wigmore Hall recital features the young Russian pianist Boris Giltburg, who has already been compared to greats such as Richter and Rubinstein. He performs a contrasting programme of romantic music, from the dances of Schumann's Papillons, to the virtuosity of Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Sonata.

Presented by Sarah Walker

Prokofiev: Sonata no. 4 in C minor Op.29 for piano
    Schumann: Papillons Op.2 for piano
    Rachmaninov: Sonata no. 2 in B flat minor Op.36 for piano

Boris Giltburg (piano).

Boris Giltburg (piano) plays Prokofiev, Schumann and Rachmaninov at Wigmore Hall, London.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Lovely recital and I particularly enjoyed the Liebesleid arrgt by one S Rachmaninov - an 'ear worm' sort of tune as encore.
      Sarah told us that Mr Giltburg chose to play a Fazioli for its exceptional dynamic range, in preference to the Wigmore Steinway. A bit difficult to hear that on the car radio but it sounded good.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Listening this evening, wonderful stuff.
        I am no expert but that Rachmaninov sonata sounds like it takes some playing, and very well played it was too IMHO.!

Comment

Working...
        X