X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I have some of his recordings, when he was at Cleveleand, eg the Dvorak Symphonies and the Wienna Philharmnoniker, doing the Brahms-Schoenber Piano quartet in Gmin or. Both very lively and atmospheric imo. Brings a new slant to this scores, imo.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

My experience of von Dohnanyi is rather mixed. I recall a splendid 1990 Prom with the Cleveland Orchestra that included the Lutoslawski Concerto for Orchestra and Beethoven 7 and from the same year a Covent Garden Meistersinger (the night Ben Heppner replaced Reiner Goldberg in Act 3). There was also a fine Bruckner 4 in the RFH a few years ago.

On the debit side I've been in the RAH for a routine Mahler 5 and a dull Beethoven 9, both with the Philharmonia.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Superior to Barenboim, on a par with Salonen.

Comment

• alywin
          • Apr 2011

Oh dear. Well, all I can say is that, after a few concerts with the Philharmonia which struck me as dull, I haven't attended any of his concerts for some years. Plus I don't find the repertoire he seems to conduct particularly enticing.

Comment

• Hornspieler

A solid working conductor, I would say, but never likely to set the roof of the Albert Hall on fire.

There are many worse (IMO) who get a lot more attention - Michael Tilson Thomas, for example.

HS

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Superior to Barenboim, on a par with Salonen.
              What a curious statement - why were those two picked out? - and where are they in the grand league table of baton wavers?

Comment

• Steerpike
                • Nov 2010

I'm with Hornspieler with both his points in #20.

At the risk of going a teensy-weensie bit off-thread: in my humble(ish) opinion, Oliver von D (I think a distant relation of Christoph) is a truly outstanding conductor and musician. I've heard him in 4 performances over 3 operas and rate him very highly. He reminds me of Kempe, not in musical style, but in his ability to make performances feel really alive from the first moment to the last. Don't know what ENO insiders think.

Comment

Working...
                X