Hazelwood blows his own trumpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Monty

Well, here it is in black and white, Squire. . .

From the official BM&D on the www.findmypast.co.uk site:

"HAZLEWOOD Charles Matthew E St. Albans Hertfordshire 1966"

If anyone wishes to pay £6.50, the full transcript is available

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Strictly, his turn phrase there could be read as a comparison, rather than as a claim to be a native of Somerset. The "raised" aspect clearly does not relate directly to him. Was he not pricipally raised, along with the welts from his claimed beatings, at Christ's Hospital School in Horsham, West Sussex?
      Yes, he was one of the Christ's Hospital transvestites (I can say this because I was at another school in the same county, but we wore trousers and jackets. My main memory of meeting Christ's Hospital guys at inter-school things is that they were always appallingly behaved!) I shared a desk for a while with an elderly lady who had taught Charlie piano. I asked her if it "took" or not, and she smiled enigmatically

Comment

• Simon

I'm not in favour of these sort of attacks on people, as I don't think they are fair.

Nonetheless, when one reads things like:

"Everything east [of Somerset] is a satellite, he says" - whilst claiming that Somerset is the first really rural county west of London, one wonders what planet he's on.

I love Somerset - but I also love Dorset, where we have friends who own a fair chunk of land - and very rural land it is, too. www.sixpennyhandley.org

I wonder why he's seen as "the face of classical music for the BBC"? Still, one has to admire his energy.
        Last edited by Guest; 17-01-11, 17:47.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Quite a bit of Wiltshire still retains, I would have thought, a smidgeon of rurality too!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            I wonder why he's seen as "the face of classical music for the BBC"? Still, one has to admire his energy.
            Only according to the Daily Telegraph. And yes, I too admire his energy.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              I'm not in favour of these sort of attacks on people, as I don't think they are fair.

Nonetheless, when one reads things like:

"Everything east [of Somerset] is a satellite, he says" - whilst claiming that Somerset is the first really rural county west of London, one wonders what planet he's on.

I love Somerset - but I also love Dorset, where we have friends who own a fair chunk of land - and very rural land it is, too. www.sixpennyhandley.org

Your wish to be fair is to be applauded, Simon, and no one, I think, would deny the man's tremendous energy. What grates, though, and the self-publicising is part of it, is the embarrassing breathlessness, as if he alone has just discovered things that a great many people know already. It would be bearable if he was 20, but he's in his mid-40s. And very uncool.

He is a near-neighbour of mine, and if nothing else I resent the suggestion that no one in this neck of the woods has ever heard of Schnittke, and requires education! Some of us were listening to, and playing, Schnittke when CH was in rompers!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Crumbs, has anyone looked back at the article lately to see the comments - all 23 now, including one from CH. David Nice edits Artsdesk? Should say that Tom Gauterin is well-known in Bristol, and any suggestion that he has a bit of a nerve in offering to meet Charlie for talks is very off target.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• maestro267
                  • Nov 2010

I wonder why he's seen as "the face of classical music for the BBC"?
                  That's Wright-era BBC for you.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                    Oh dear! I am sure that Tommy Beecham would have referred to half the London orchestras as "My orchestra" as he founded them. I think most chief conductors (not to mention orchestral players) will say such things even though they never started the ensemble in they are talking about.
                    didn't you post a fair bit on Saints websites in the past ??!!
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                    X