Mahler Chamber Orchestra/Andnes/Symphony Hall 20:00 tonight! Beethoven Concertos 1&3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Mahler Chamber Orchestra/Andnes/Symphony Hall 20:00 tonight! Beethoven Concertos 1&3

Following a rapturous review in Gramophone (by Harriet Smith) for these very performers playing this repertoire, R3 listeners should surely flock to this one!
    What? Hadn't noticed it? Ah, of course, most have never forgiven poor Gramophone for previous editorial sins, despite its resurgence...

Well, never mind them. Don't miss it! Should be an acoustical treat at least...
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-11-12, 04:27.
  • Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Following a rapturous review in Gramophone (by Harriet Smith) for these very performers playing this repertoire, R3 listeners should surely flock to this one!
    What? Hadn't noticed it? Ah, of course, most have never forgiven poor Gramophone for previous editorial sins, despite its resurgence...

Well, never mind them. Don't miss it! Should be an acoustical treat at least...
    Thanks for the heads up, JLW. I'll revisit this later in the week.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

So - just me and the cat for this one tonight, was it?

You could describe these Beethoven Concerto performances by Andsnes and the Mahler Chamber Orchestra as extreme - extremes of precision, intensity, and dynamics - stunning ensemble, from a whisper to a roar, and not so much varying moods as mood-swings; but they were classically poised and warmly expressive too, and not just in the slow movements: the oboe solo at the start of the 1st Concerto's 1st movement development was just one of many individually defined moments, in performances full of a sense of excited discovery, pianist and orchestra remarkably responsive to each others' promptings and inspirations. Having said that, Andsnes always led firmly from the front.

Simply exceptional in every respect.

Curse my poor sore head, but I'll have to keep this short - just go and listen, really.

From those opening bassoon trills the Stravinsky Octet which began part 2 was wondrously fresh, playful and imaginative; I don't recall any recording being quite this airy, danceable, or so free from any presumed neoclassical constraint. But stunning virtuosity and precision was again at the service of musical expression. Marvellous.

In the concertos, the bright-ish balance and very wide dynamic range, allied to Andsnes' sculpted and powerful tone - with the piano sounding slightly forward in the soundstage - was occasionally a little uncomfortable at higher volumes. (For anyone interested, on the HDs feed, I found switching from minimum phase to linear on the Cambridge DacMagic helped a lot. System adjustability has its uses!)
      Listening again later on the iPlayer, I was please to note a pretty faithful recording of what I'd heard live, which isn't always the case.

These performances deserve lengthier, more articulate praise (do seek out Harriet Smith's review of the CD in November Gramophone). But again, just go listen!
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-11-12, 04:24.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Great review, Jayne. Thanks. With enthusiasm like that how can anybody resist a listen? Should get a chance later this week, so will catch up with it.

Hope the head is feeling better.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          So - just me and the cat for this one tonight, was it?

You could describe these Beethoven Concerto performances by Andsnes and the Mahler Chamber Orchestra as extreme - extremes of precision, intensity, and dynamics - stunning ensemble, from a whisper to a roar, and not so much varying moods as mood-swings; but they were classically poised and warmly expressive too, and not just in the slow movements: the oboe solo at the start of the 1st Concerto's 1st movement development was just one of many individually defined moments, in performances full of a sense of excited discovery, pianist and orchestra remarkably responsive to each others' promptings and inspirations. Having said that, Andsnes always led firmly from the front.

Simply exceptional in every respect.

From those opening bassoon trills the Stravinsky Octet which began part 2 was wondrously fresh, playful and imaginative; I don't recall any recording being quite this airy, danceable, or so free from any presumed neoclassical constraint. But stunning virtuosity and precision was again at the service of musical expression. Marvellous.

In the concertos, the bright-ish balance and very wide dynamic range, allied to Andsnes' sculpted and powerful tone - with the piano sounding slightly forward in the soundstage - was occasionally a little uncomfortable at higher volumes. (For anyone interested, on the HDs feed, I found switching from minimum phase to linear on the Cambridge DacMagic helped a lot. System adjustability has its uses!)
          Listening again later on the iPlayer, I was please to note a pretty faithful recording of what I'd heard live, which isn't always the case.

These performances deserve lengthier, more articulate praise
          The Coriolan overture was, I thought, very 'run of the mill' and totally lacking in drama and passion.

Some good moments in the 1st piano concerto, but I was put off by the race to finish first in the finale.
          Andsnes always led firmly from the front
          - well, you said it, Jayne.

I loved the Stravinsky - this is the sort of work in which this ensemble excells.

Didn't hear the other concerto, so will listen on iPlayer later (as instructed)

HS

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Loved the Beethoven 1st piano concerto - the fantastic driving infectious rhythms of the finale.... you had to get up and dance!
            Stravinsky brilliant palate cleaner before No 3.

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
              The Coriolan overture was, I thought, very 'run of the mill' and totally lacking in drama and passion.

Some good moments in the 1st piano concerto, but I was put off by the race to finish first in the finale. - well, you said it, Jayne
              I loved the Stravinsky - this is the sort of work in which this ensemble excells.

Didn't hear the other concerto, so will listen on iPlayer later (as instructed)

HS
              Trouble with iPlayer this morning but all is now resolved. Of the five Beethoven concertos, Nº 3 is my favourite. Not, perhaps, the best known (that's the "Emperor") or possibly the highest regarded these days (that's Nº 4 in G)

Listening now, I get the feeling that the orchestra has settled into their true comfort zone with this piece and the soloist has calmed down a bit. The playing is more measured and the interplay between piano and orchestra is working very well, with some very attractive woodwind playing in particular.

A great performance! I shall keep this one.

HS

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                Trouble with iPlayer this morning but all is now resolved. Of the five Beethoven concertos, Nº 3 is my favourite. Not, perhaps, the best known (that's the "Emperor") or possibly the highest regarded these days (that's Nº 4 in G)

Listening now, I get the feeling that the orchestra has settled into their true comfort zone with this piece and the soloist has calmed down a bit. The playing is more measured and the interplay between piano and orchestra is working very well, with some very attractive woodwind playing in particular.

A great performance! I shall keep this one.

HS
                It's also available on disc. Wasn't it Disc of the Week on CD Review recently?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

I attended a splendid concert last May at the Semper Opera House as part of the Dresden Music Festival. Leif Ove Andsnes was directing the Mahler Chamber Orchestra from the piano on their “Beethoven Journey.” The programme was:
                  Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.1 in C major, Op.15,
                  Stravinsky: Apollon musagète,
                  Beethoven: Piano Concerto No.3 in C minor, Op. 37

Off their website it says that the Mahler Chamber Orchestra was founded in 1997 by former members of the Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra who wished to continue making music together. They are a travelling orchestra with no fixed home location, they are on the move about 200 days each year. When I heard them live they were magnificant and are well worth hearing if you get the chance.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

I have Solomon/Menges in Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3. The beauty of his Second Movement is transcendent, but I've been giving the Andnes disc a spin on Qobuz all afternoon. Whilst Andnes doesn't quite reach Solomon's dizzying heights in that second movement, his playing is impressive, and the punch of the Mahler Chamber Orchestra is a revelation. The sonic clarity is such that lots of new detail comes out. A definite future purchase.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Post #3 super review as usual Jayne.
                      I've not felt inclined to listen to the Beethoven pcs for a long while (takes cover) but will catch this on i player.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

due to some sort of a combination of rubbish internet connection , iplayer being erratic(?) etc, managed to get through the Octet 2 and a half movements of #3 uninterrupted.(couldn't prise the first half into action at all.)
                        Enough at least to enjoy a taste of what was on offer...I shall listen to future performances a little better informed, at least.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                        X