X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gingerjon
    • Sep 2011

Met Opera on Sky Arts 2

Not sure if this is the right place - please move if not.

Sky Arts 2 are showing (seemingly) new productions from the Met on Mondays at 8pm. La Traviata was on last Monday and next week it's Don Giovanni.

Being Sky what I can't seem to find is a list for the whole season or how recent the productions actually are. 'New' on satellite doesn't always mean what it seems.
    The best music is the music that persuades us there is no other music in the world-- Alex Ross
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

I know that later in the season they will be showing the Le Page Ring cycle, which is certainly new to Sky Arts. I was thinking of forking out 100 odd quid for the Blu-Rays but I shan't bother now.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

That La Trav was a truly weird event - production values?? Final scene weirdest. Anyone like to explain it?

Comment

• gingerjon
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        That La Trav was a truly weird event - production values?? Final scene weirdest. Anyone like to explain it?
        Not just me then.

I confess I was only half-watching as I had an important Scrabble match against the computer to finish but I couldn't get what was going on there. It did *sound* lovely though in my entirely amateur opinion.
        The best music is the music that persuades us there is no other music in the world-- Alex Ross

Comment

• LHC
          • Jan 2011

Skyarts haven't published details of the operas they will be showing, except to say that they are from the Met's 2011-12 HD broadcasts. Assuming they are showing the complete set, they should show:

Anna Bolena, with Netrebko.
          Don Giovanni (next week)
          The Enchanted Isle (a mish mash of Handel arias around a plot loosely based on the The Tempest)
          Ernani
          Faust, with Kaufmann, Pape and Poplavskaya
          The LePage Ring Cycle
          Manon, with Netrebko
          Rodelinda, with Fleming
          Satyagraha
          La Traviata (as shown this week)
          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
          X