Wagner Prelude to Parsifal
    Mahler Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
    Mahler Totenfeier
    Liszt Les Préludes

Vladimir Jurowski conductor
    Sarah Connolly mezzo-soprano
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

An intriguing programme but oh that 7:00 start! Will have to catch this on i-player later on.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

As will I - I'm going to see the RSAMD doing the Cunning Little Vixen, in Scottish Opera's old production.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        An intriguing programme but oh that 7:00 start! Will have to catch this on i-player later on.
        Petrushka, it's not being broadcast on R3 on Friday. I think verisissimo is going to the RFH! However, it is being recorded for Monday's Performance on 3.
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          As will I - I'm going to see the RSAMD doing the Cunning Little Vixen, in Scottish Opera's old production.
          As am I on Friday. I'm sure it will be excellent.
          I can't see the title of this thread without thinking that the Connolly is Billy! That would be an interesting juxtaposition.
          I remember him doing a hilarious Frosch for Scot Op a long time ago.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Prepping for this concert, I've listened to the five versions of Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen that I have to hand - Janet Baker/Halle/Barbirolli, Thomas Allen/ECO/Tate, DFD/Bavarian RSO/Kubelik, Christa Ludwig/Philharmonia/Boult and Frederica von Stade/LPO/A Davis. Perhaps surprising in such a distinguished field, it's the last that I enjoyed most.

Such a wonderful cycle!

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Stunning concert. Fresh as paint. When the OAE plays late Romantic music, there's often a sense that the music is being newly created, probably not only because the instuments, strings, vibrato, phrasing, dynamics, portamento etc are different from a mainstream orchestra, but also because in many cases it's the first time the players have performed it.

And Vladimir Jurowski is an ideal bridge, living as he does in both orchestral worlds and intensely interested in historical performing practice.

Rapt prelude to Parsifal. Exciting, new to me, Totenfeier (closely related to the first movement of Mahler 2). Sarah Connolly was absolutely outstanding in the Mahler Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen - her performance the essence of "less is more".

Although I'm a committed Lisztian, I've never warmed much to Les Preludes, but this performance was a revelation, with an electricity and attack that totally overcame the lack of musical development. Amongst many, wonderful timpani-playing, duly recognised by Jurowski.

It will be interesting to see how it all comes over on PO3 on Monday.
              Last edited by verismissimo; 22-01-11, 11:07.

Comment

• ostuni
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                It will be interesting to see how it all comes over on PO3 on Monday.
                And OAE is planning to release it (part of it? I'm not sure) as a CD on their own label later this year.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                  Originally Posted by Flosshilde
                  As am I on Friday. I'm sure it will be excellent.
                  I can't see the title of this thread without thinking that the Connolly is Billy! That would be an interesting juxtaposition.
                  I remember him doing a hilarious Frosch for Scot Op a long time ago.
                  Curalach, what did you think of the Cunning Little Vixen? I enjoyed the production, and the music - Janacek is definitley growing on me. But I can't really comment on the singers, as they were for a lot of the time inaudible! I've heard RSAMD productions at the Theatre Royal in the past & they've generally been OK, but last night not at all. At one point the Forrester was standing at the front of the stage facing the audience, but still couldn't be heard! I should add that I was sitting in Row F of the stalls, so wasn't exactly distant from the stage.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                    Curalach, what did you think of the Cunning Little Vixen?.
                    Well, I thought much the same as you. I was in Row C in the circle and from time to time thought that surtitles would be good!
                    I saw that production with ScotOp when it was new and it was good to see it again but you need bigger voices for Janacek, or more sympathetic conducting. I say that with some trepidation because I have a high regard for Tim Dean and I was surrounded by people who thought it was terrific. I was left with a sense of "what might have been".
                    Perhaps it was first night nerves but I suspect that it was the wrong choice of work for the voices.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Glad it wasn't just me!
                      I do think that since the Theatre Royal was refurbished & the pit pushed out more into the auditorium that the balance betwen orchestra & singers has been in favour of the former.

I assume that the RSAMD performances are part of the students' 'exams' - so I wonder how they are assessed? During a public performance, or dress rehearsals, or what? I would have thought that the RSAMD theatre would be a much more congenial place to be assessed in.

Comment

• Curalach

Flosshilde,
                        I'm conscious that we are straying well off the headline title of this thread so I will reply to you in a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X