Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunchtime Concert

Just finished - another mixed bag from Schwetzingen, including more feats of prestidigitation from Khatya Buniatishvili.

Misha Maisky and his daughter played a piano and cello arrangement of something which everyone (Louise Fryer, the Radio Times and the website) seemed to agree was Granados "Oriental" [Spanish Dance no 10] but wasn't, it was no.5, Andaluza, sometimes called Playera. Curious, presumably the info came from Schwetzingen in the first place

Trio Zimmermann's performance of Beethoven's String Trio in G Major op.9 No. 1 was a peach. (Thursday lunchtime)

Lunchtime Concert is one of my favourite programmes on R3.

Comment

Hosts! Hosts! Spam alert

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Just finished - another mixed bag from Schwetzingen, including more feats of prestidigitation from Khatya Buniatishvili.

Misha Maisky and his daughter played a piano and cello arrangement of something which everyone (Louise Fryer, the Radio Times and the website) seemed to agree was Granados "Oriental" [Spanish Dance no 10] but wasn't, it was no.5, Andaluza, sometimes called Playera. Curious, presumably the info came from Schwetzingen in the first place
        Just to clarify 'Oriental' is Spanish Dance no.2 (No.10 is untitled but is sometimes known as 'Melancolica') I wrote to the programme pointing out the misattribution without reply.
        Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Auric View Post
          Just to clarify 'Oriental' is Spanish Dance no.2 (No.10 is untitled but is sometimes known as 'Melancolica') I wrote to the programme pointing out the misattribution without reply.
          Regards
          Thanks, Auric. A poor show that they didn't reply.

Oriental (no 2, as you say) also works well as a transcription for guitar duo, played among others by Presti/Lagoya and Bream/Williams, and Andaluza/Playera is a popular guitar solo. But probably best on the piano

Comment

A bit naughty, the online listing for today's Wigmore Hall perfromance of Janacek's Diary of One who Disappeared fails to even mention the 3 female singers. They may play a minor role but surely they should be credited. Surely they have not been dispensed with? I've been listening to the News, so will have to catch up later to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              A bit naughty, the online listing for today's Wigmore Hall perfromance of Janacek's Diary of One who Disappeared fails to even mention the 3 female singers. They may play a minor role but surely they should be credited. Surely they have not been dispensed with? I've been listening to the News, so will have to catch up later to find out.
              Actually four female singers. They did get a mention on the TV credits. I enjoyed their contribution in the folk songs, spiced up with some dancing and percussion.

Comment

Following on from yesterday's Op. 109 and 110, today we get 111 from Andras Schiff, plus some second Viennese school gems from Kopatchinskaja. Great way to end the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Following on from yesterday's Op. 109 and 110, today we get 111 from Andras Schiff, plus some second Viennese school gems from Kopatchinskaja. Great way to end the week.
                  One of my favourite Schoenberg pieces, the Phantasy.

Comment

Working...
                  X