Royal String Quartet. 17 January Lunchtime Concert. Symanowski/Schubert.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal String Quartet. 17 January Lunchtime Concert. Symanowski/Schubert.

Caught most of this today. Can't really, (or perhaps don't want to) comment on the performances. However, I heard the Symanowski without knowing what it was, and I was really grabbed by the music. Certainly a work I shall visit again soon .
    I have never really found my way into his work before, but I think this may be the key.
    Does anybody have wise thoughts on this?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

This is the young Polish group, isn't it: I have a CD of theirs. I was quite impressed but must look it out to remind myself what they were performing - modern Polish, I think.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I think it is the Polish group.

I wouldn't like to make a judgement about their playing standard, especially since I listened on my car radio, but, FWIW, I wasn't hugely impressed with the playing.
      (but even I wouldn't take my word for it)!!
      The Symanowski was very exciting though.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Yep, on the BeArTon label - a series called The Pearls of Polish Music - Moniuszko SQ 1, Szymanowski SQ 2 and Grazyna Bacewicz SQ 4. Will give it a spin when The Art of Fugue has finished.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Yep, on the BeArTon label - a series called The Pearls of Polish Music - Moniuszko SQ 1, Szymanowski SQ 2 and Grazyna Bacewicz SQ 4. Will give it a spin when The Art of Fugue has finished.
          Like others of her generation, Grazyna Bacewicz studied composition in Paris under Nadia Boulanger, thus giving her music a degree of French Polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Like others of her generation, Grazyna Bacewicz studied composition in Paris under Nadia Boulanger, thus giving her music a degree of French Polish.
            I recall learning of her existence and of hearing a piano piece as an encore in a concert given in London by the rather young Krystian Zimerman

Comment

We're booked for their Wiltshire appearance

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                We're booked for their Wiltshire appearance
                Ah! I had it in mind they had been R3 New Generation Artists at one point. Hope you enjoy it, gurnemanz.

I remember there was an item about Bacewicz on CD Review some while back. She is quite interesting too.

Comment

I've sen them at the Wigmore Hall a few years back and very much enjoyed the Schubert quartet yesterday, like much of my listening, over the car radio. Unfortunately I didn't catch the remainder.

Comment

By the way, nothing from the spelling police, but I took the composer's name spelling from the radio 3 schedule !

Doesn't seem to be the accepted spelling though. !!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      By the way, nothing from the spelling police, but I took the composer's name spelling from the radio 3 schedule !

....Doesn't seem to be the accepted spelling though. !!
                      You don't expect that shower to get it right do you?

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Doesn't seem to be the accepted spelling though. !!
                        Heh! twice! Perhaps they also pronounce it wrongly - spell as you say. Sz in Polish is surely the equivalent of - no, similar to - sh.

Comment

My and their, bad, as they say.
                          But hey,chin up, its a cracking work though !!

Comment

Working...
                          X