X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

Wigmore Hall Monday lunchtime concert 28 January 2013

Christian Ihle Hadland, a BBC Radio 3 New Generation artist, whose Mozart piano concerto disc is praised by Caliban et al on the CD Review non-BaL CD thread, gives a lunchtime recital of
    Mozart Piano Sonata in D K576 and Schubert Piano Sonata in A D959

Christian Ihle Hadland (piano) in Mozart: Sonata in D, K576. Schubert: Sonata in A, D959.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Christian Ihle Hadland, a BBC Radio 3 New Generation artist, whose Mozart piano concerto disc is praised by Caliban et al on the CD Review non-BaL CD thread, gives a lunchtime recital of

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pz9fw
    Cooo blimey, thanks a lot for flagging this!!

(Anybody hear Yevgeny Sudbin last Monday / yesterday?)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Cooo blimey, thanks a lot for flagging this!!

Not yet but thanks for the reminder ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...evgeny_Sudbin/

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Not yet but thanks for the reminder ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...evgeny_Sudbin/
        I tuned in for the Chopin and the Scriabin which was scheduled to follow it according to the listings. Chopin v good indeed... Then I thought: blimey, Scriabin was having an off day, this is awful... Turns out he'd switched the programme around, and the Chopin was followed by .... Liszt! (So my antipathy was confirmed by an unwitting 'blind tasting' !)

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Yes, but only the Scarlatti. Exquisitely played, I thought.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

So... did anyone hear the Hadland recital 'live' ?

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Here I am and I'd like to record my thanks to R3 for relaying the programme to my home.
              I enjoyed the music especially the Schubert largely because I didn't know the Mozart piece; one of those recitals where my attention was held but not captivated by what I heard. Perhaps because I had the good fortune to listen to a very fine pianist (Yuri Paterson Olenich) playing in a friend's home the week before and nothing compares to a live performance.

Comment

• amateur51

This concert forms the core of the morning's listening today. I wasn't too chipper yesterday lunchtime but feel 'in the mood' now

Comment

• JFLL
                  • Jan 2011

He sounded good, I thought (though at times a bit too fast for me in the first movt of D 959). I've just noticed that he was apparently playing on In Tune yesterday, according to Radio Times. Unfortunately the iPlayer doesn't give timings, but I think I might just skim through it and see what he has to say and play. Howard Goodall was also apparently also on, talking about Dunstable.

EDIT: He's on In Tune on the iPlayer at about 6 minutes in, talking and playing: the finale of Mozart K 311 piano sonata, the final movt of Bach’s Italian Concerto and (yes) the slow movt of Mozart’s piano concerto K 467 (recorded). Interestingly, he said he had been touting Dvorak’s Piano Concerto for years, but had found only one orchestra, BBC NOW, to play it with him. It’s not a work I know, I must say.
                  Last edited by JFLL; 29-01-13, 12:06.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

I heard him talking about the Dvorak pf conc and I can't remember hearing it, so I hope that the concert is broadcast.

Comment

• amateur51

I enjoyed this recital generally but I did find one or two mannerisms that disturbed . He has a tendency to 'swallow' the end of a phrase at times. There was also a tendency to create bulges in the middle of a phrase which I found irritating. But he's clearly a very accomplished pianist.

But the most grievous error I felt was the way in which he seemed to gloss over the Andantino second movement, when the music goes 'mad' and appears to resemble a nervous breakdown (my description ) - I didn't get any of the sense of a mini-psychodrama that I have from Brendel, Uchida, Pollini, and others. He almost ignored or certainly underplayed the crucial silences that punctuate this movement. Perhaps the problem is mine and I need to listen again to his different approach. However, I felt let down.

I'll listen again and certainly I'll follow further performances that he gives - I guess that I'm not on his wavelength yet?
                      Last edited by Guest; 29-01-13, 15:31. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I enjoyed this recital generally but I did find one or two mannerisms that disturbed. He has a tendency to 'swallow' the end of a phrase at times. There was also a tendency to create bulges in the middle of a phrase which I found irritating. But he's clearly a very accomplished pianist.
                        Have yet to listen and will do so with interest.

Thanks to those above for flagging the In Tune appearance - will hunt for that

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          I had the good fortune to listen to a very fine pianist (Yuri Paterson Olenich) playing in a friend's home
                          Blimey! He's great! I have him playing Rachmaninov's first piano sonata, a revelation. How come he was there, and what did you hear him play?

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

Yes he's a wonderful pianist and it was a birthday gift from a friend. Yuri and his wife, herself a very fine pianist played the 4 hand arrangement of Barber's Souvenirs suite - never heard it before and very charming, a couple of Rachmaninov pieces incl the Alla Marcia prelude (just as well the floor was strong), three Granados Spanish dances and a selection of Brahms Hungarian dances again in 4 hand arrangements. It was lovely and gave the Bechstein a real workout!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pz9fw
                              Refreshing this, as the repeat's coming up at 2pm

Comment

Working...
                              X