• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Academy of St Martin in the Fields at the Cadogan Hall

Interesting to hear that early symphony. Only really worthy of performance because of its unique provenance, but good fun to listen to.

The "Turkish" violin concerto was always a favourite of mine and I'm listening now.

Very nice playing by Janine Jansen and it's a shame that her opening balance was too quiet against the tutti that had preceded it. It's fine now.

An extremely demanding horn part in this concerto - very high and nowhere to hide, but splendid playing so far.

It was Timothy Brown of course. One of the well known Brown family (Antony Brown was my music master at school) Tim's elder sister, Iona, was a former director/leader of the ASMF (sadly no longer with us) brother Ian is well known as pianist and accompanist with the Nash Ensemble. Young Sally (viola) was a member of the Bournemouth Symphony orchestra as was Tony's wife (Fiona) What a family!

I shall finish my reactions to this delectable concert tomorrow.

HS
    Last edited by Hornspieler; 12-02-13, 21:29.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I'm listening to it too as I close this down for the night. The balance and playing sound first rate to me on a little mono portable. Is it usual for solo violinists to direct the ASMF these days, I forgetwho is usually in charge?

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      I'm listening to it too as I close this down for the night. The balance and playing sound first rate to me on a little mono portable. Is it usual for solo violinists to direct the ASMF these days, I forgetwho is usually in charge?
      It was Neville Marriner of course who founded the ASMF in 1959 and directed them for many years. He was formerly a member of the David Martin string quartet. He would now be in his late eighties and must surely have been at least semi-retired long since, but the orchestra (some say the finest chamber orchestra in this country) still survives and, I'm sure, will continue for many years.

Good night Saly, I expect you will listen to part 2 tomorrow and say what you think.

HS
      Last edited by Hornspieler; 13-02-13, 08:21.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        It was Neville Marriner of course who founded the ASMF in 1959 and directed them for many years. He was formerly a member of the David Martin string quartet. He would now be in his late eighties and must surely have been at least semi-retired long since, but the orchestra (some say the finest chamber orchestra in this country) still survives and, I'm sure, will continue for many years.

Good night Saly, I expect you will listen to part 2 tomorrow and say what you think.

HS
        Indeed I remember Sir Neville,HS. He was a frequent visitor to the Breitkopf London office and I went toseveral of his concerts. I meant after him asI assumed he had retired.

I listened to the 2nd vln concerto,K 211 but, although a charming earlier work, it's JJ's playing ofthe 'Turkish' I very much wish I'd recorded lastnight.

Didn't stay for the Bartok, one of my favourite composers but don't know the Divertimento and too tired to take itin last night.

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Is it usual for solo violinists to direct the ASMF these days, I forget who is usually in charge?
          ASMF is now directed by Joshua Bell from the first desk and, at the concerts I've been to, they perform with real verve. Edge of the seat playing.

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

Indeed I remember Sir Neville,HS. He was a frequent visitor to the Breitkopf London office and I went toseveral of his concerts. I meant after him asI assumed he had retired.

I listened to the 2nd vln concerto,K 211 but, although a charming earlier work, it's JJ's playing of the 'Turkish' I very much wish I'd recorded lastnight.
            A sparkling performance, enhanced by some truly magnificent horn playing (Timothy Brown)

Didn't stay for the Bartok, one of my favourite composers but don't know the Divertimento and too tired to take it in last night.
            Good morning Saly. I hope you slept well.

Concerto NÂş 2 in D was a poor companion to what had gone before. Not surprising that, like NÂş 1 in B flat, it is seldom played.

I suppose it was all right. I confess that it did not retain my attention.

Yes, I too like Bartok's music but I felt that it was completely out of place in this programme. To finish with a strings-only work from a different period seemed quite wrong on both counts and I switched off after only a few minutes.

Why didn't JJ choose the "Prague" or "Haffner" symphonies as a final work?
            Both in D major as was the second violin concerto (My favourite of the five is the one in G, but perhaps ms Jansen was saving that for another occasion)

We seldom hear the ASMF on radio these days, so this live concert from Cadogan Hall was a welcome event.

Any other appraisals?

HS

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

I knew a young top class player who auditioned for the ASMF about ten years ago. (He subsequently joined the Berlin Phil's first violin section!)

He turned up early at St. Martins in the Field church for his audition to find an old man setting up chairs and music stands for a rehearsal. Upon asking asking the man where he should unpack he realised it was none other than Sir Neville himself who was the model of courtesy and friendliness!

He had imagined that Sir Neville would simply be wheeled out for the great occasions but here he was doing mundane jobs and talking enthusiastically about music. Couldn't really imagine big names fretting over a mislaid 'cello part!
              Last edited by pastoralguy; 14-02-13, 18:26.

Comment

• hmvman
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                Sir Neville was interviewed on 'In Tune' just before Christmas. He's 88 and is Honorary Conductor of the I, Culture Orchestra and still occasionally conducts the ASMF.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                  Sir Neville was interviewed on 'In Tune' just before Christmas. He's 88 and is Honorary Conductor of the I, Culture Orchestra and still occasionally conducts the ASMF.

Wellhe was charming but rather absent-minded years ago. He wandered out after ordering something from Breitkopf direct, then I had to chase down the road with his briefcase and raincoat.. Luckily I could hurry then

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                    • Nov 2010

Late posting, as usual from me, on this thread, on this highly enjoyable concert from JJ and the ASMF via iPlayer, very fine and warm-hearted music making from all concerned. I actually differ from HS regarding the Bartok Divertimento on this program, which I thought made for a good change of pace from all-Mozart, all the time otherwise. But for those who stayed around for the encore, it was more Mozart, the finale from the Divertimento in D, K. 136, which made for an excellent palate cleanser.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I am glad that this porchestra seems tpo be going strong still I dont think that they make as many recordings as they used to?: Perhaps if they hav'nt their own recording label,they should begin this project?

Joshua Bell is the current director? That's quite a choice to make?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lordgeous
                        • Dec 2012

They were a breath of fresh air when they appeared on the scene, a real ear-opener, and they made many stunning recordings, some of which i was priviledged to attend (in the wonderful Kingsway Hall acoustic). I was also lucky to have a concerto of mine performed by them, and indeed Sir Neville couldnt have been more helpful. I believe he also led the 2nds in the LSO before the Academy days.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          I dont think that they make as many recordings as they used to? Perhaps if they [haven't] their own recording label, they should begin this project?
                          True that the ASMF doesn't have their own label, but they're off to a bang with Joshua Bell in the new release department:

This is already available in the US. Not that the world really needs another Beethoven symphony recording, but as of this writing, the sales ranking is 235 on Amazon.com, not too shabby.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                            True that the ASMF doesn't have their own label, but they're off to a bang with Joshua Bell in the new release department:

This is already available in the US. Not that the world really needs another Beethoven symphony recording, but as of this writing, the sales ranking is 235 on Amazon.com, not too shabby.
                            Thanks for that, bsp. Sounds interesting. Hopefully, they'll get around to no. 6.

Comment

Working...
                            X