• Show
Clear All
  • JFLL
    • Jan 2011

Trio Zimmermann in Beethoven and Hindemith, tomorrow 7.30 Radio 3

Radio 3, this Tuesday, 12th March, at 7.30

“Live from Wigmore Hall, London
    Presented by Martin Handley
    Trio Zimmermann - three of Europe's most exciting string players - in a programme of trio's [sic -- evidently no prejudice against greengrocers (or greengrocer’s?) on the R3 website] by Beethoven and Hindemith

Beethoven: Serenade in D, Op.8
    Hindemith: String Trio no.2

Interval

Beethoven: String Trio in E flat, Op.3

Trio Zimmermann
    Violinist Frank Peter Zimmermann, violist Antoine Tamestit and cellist Christian Poltera frame Hindemith's strikingly original String Trio no.2 with two of Beethoven's greatest works in the genre.”

Those who have enjoyed their CD of Beethoven’s string trios op. 9 will not want to miss this.
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Indeed, an excellent concert by FPZ and friends, all the more remarkable in that Antoine Tamestit evidently got to Wigmore Hall just barely an hour before the concert, according to Martin Handley, thanks to being waylaid by some combination of planes and trains (though not automobiles, presumably), if I remember it correctly. There were a very few dodgy moments in the 1st movement of the Beethoven op. 8, but nothing to worry about afterwards. Interesting to hear the Hindemith, a work I've never heard before in any format, and while there are some patches of slightly manufactured grey that I tend to expect from Hindemith, other passages are quite striking and energetic.

Comment

• gamba
      Late member
      • Dec 2010

Trio Zimmermann really are quite exceptional. I had the good sense to record their Mozart divertimento k563 on R3 in August last year. Now one of my most prized recordings of this great work.

Comment

Working...
      X