• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Handel, arr Mozart Messiah at 7.30 tonight {NOT live apparently]

Oh dear, well as I've started - performed by the BBC Philharmonic and the Huddersfield Choral Society conducted by Harry Christophers = rather more that his 16 in it.
    Lynda Russell [sop] Catherine Wyn-Rogers [contralto] Thomas Randle [tenor] David WilsonJohnson [bass]

Radio 3, 7.30 tonight.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I first heard this wonderful arrangement as a result of one of Antony Hopkins' "Talking about Music" broadcasts. It also form the basis of the famous 1959 Beecham recording. One movement, the recitative that replaces the aria "If God be for us" was composed entirely by Mozart, yet does not appear in the Philips Complete Mozart Edition.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

An interesting performance in some ways (so far) but must conductors as fine as Harry Christophers indulge in gimmicks like giving the opening halves of choruses to solo voices, when neither Mozart nor Handel wrote them that way?

I have the scores of both versions and neither has this idiosyncracy.

Comment

• Simon

Can't imagine why. A chorus sounds far better than some warbling sop anyway.

I didn't get to hear it all as I was driving and had to get out at times, but I was mightily impressed by the nations raging furiously. Great attack, great piece, great voice, IMO.

All that apart, can it get any better? GFH orch. WAM. The A list indeed.

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

The BBC music magazine [MM164/5] did a two disc set of this arrangement with Robert King with the same forces at BBC NBH in Manchester. There's also the McKerras version on DG too.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I have the Mackerras, which has many fine qualities, but sadly the chorus sounds as though it is full of Gwyneth Jones clones.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
              The BBC music magazine [MM164/5] did a two disc set of this arrangement with Robert King with the same forces at BBC NBH in Manchester. There's also the McKerras version on DG too.
              Actually, Gordon, that BBCMM two disc set from 1997 is conducted by Harry Christophers and would appear, on the face of it, to be identical to last night's broadcast.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                I thought the recording last night from 1997 was the one issued in the BBC Music Magazine with HC conducting and not RK. It was done in Studio 7 specially for the magazine and as far as I know this was its first broadcast.
                It must be HC's idea to use soloists at the start of some fugal choruses, but I think the announcer last night indicated its was in Mozart's score. Not in the one I've seen though.
                When I was in the HCS we recorded the Mozart version under Mackerass in 1988 and he used tutti forces throughout in the choruses; doing what Mozart wanted. I remember the Alto Trombone needing a bumper as it was exhausting doubling the chorus parts throughout. The alto, tenor and bass lines are doubled by trombones, even in the unaccompanied 'Since by man'. This recording is on the Signum label.
                Without being too biased I thought the chorus were terrific in 1997, though I'd left the choir by then.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

The 1988 Huddersfield/Mackerras performance was extremely good, but it wasn't really the Mozart version - more of a Prout compromise, with the usual cuts and "The Trumpet Shall Sound" in Handel's version. Sadly, this was the only CD set I ever bought that corroded (both discs).

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I absolutely love the Solti recording with the Chicago SO and Chorus. The Chorus are simply magnificent throughout and this will be the one I lift from the shelves this Easter.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jonfan
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      The 1988 Huddersfield/Mackerras performance was extremely good, but it wasn't really the Mozart version - more of a Prout compromise, with the usual cuts and "The Trumpet Shall Sound" in Handel's version. Sadly, this was the only CD set I ever bought that corroded (both discs).
                      It was Mozart and not Prout.[Mackerass wouldn't allow Prout through the door!!] I think Mozart's original 'The Trumpet' was considered a step too far commercially at the time. Yes my discs self-destructed as well! Handel getting his back on Mozart perhaps!!

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

The Huddersfield Choral Society were often conducted by Beecham and Sargent in the Mozart version, according to the programmes anyway.

Not that they would be the same choir members unless they were gamba's age or more.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                          It was Mozart and not Prout.[Mackerass wouldn't allow Prout through the door!!]
                          That was certainly the impression he gave, but the Prout edition is essentially the Mozart arrangement.
                          But the Mozart "Trumpet Shall Sound" and "If God be for us" had already appeared on Mackerras's earlier Mozart recording.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Do all the versions include 'And with His Stripes we are Healed ? There was always an announcement at Messiah rehearsals I went to that it would be dropped,so I don't remember it.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I was driving home from Cheltenham and I enjoyed it a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X