Video: 1280 x 720 Pixels, H.264 at 2.1 MBit/s
Audio: Stereo 320 kbit/s AAC

Medium
Video: 960 x 540 Pixels H.264 at 1.3 MBit/s
Audio: Stereo 192 kbit/s AAC

Low
Video: 480 x 270 Pixels H.264 at 0.5 MBit/s 
Audio: Stereo 192 kbit/s AAC

The optimum speed will be selected automatically, depending on your Internet connection. Alternatively, you can select the speed manually

Leave a comment:

• Petrushka
    replied
    Originally posted by johnb View Post
    I was intrigued by this thread and the praise lavished on the sound quality of the BPO Digital Concert Hall so I've just done a bit of research using the 'Test Video' clip. The sound on this clip appears to be encoded at 192 kbps AAC-LC - the same as Radio 3 iPlayer and inferior to Radio HD.

I realise that there is more to perceived quality than the bit rate (e.g. balance, acoustics, microphone placing, etc) but I thought it interesting that, unless I have made a silly mistake (which is quite possible), the sound seems to be encoded using the same codec and same bitrate as Radio 3 on iPlayer.
    That's very interesting if true. To my ears the sound quality surpasses most of my CD's in brilliance and depth. I would also report that I have the volume at the same level as my normal listening while R3 i-player has to be given a hefty push upwards to bring it properly into focus and even then is not ideal.

Leave a comment:

• johnb
    replied
    I was intrigued by this thread and the praise lavished on the sound quality of the BPO Digital Concert Hall so I've just done a bit of research using the 'Test Video' clip. The sound on this clip appears to be encoded at 192 kbps AAC-LC - the same as Radio 3 iPlayer and inferior to Radio HD.

I realise that there is more to perceived quality than the bit rate (e.g. balance, acoustics, microphone placing, etc) but I thought it interesting that, unless I have made a silly mistake (which is quite possible), the sound seems to be encoded using the same codec and no higher than bitrate that Radio 3 uses on the standard iPlayer.
    Last edited by johnb; 08-02-11, 23:01.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Monty
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Had an e-mail from the BPO Digital Concert Hall admitting that they had technical problems on Saturday which logged everybody out and as compo they have given a free 24 hour pass! Considering I made good use of Saturday's pass by trawling the archive this is a generous gesture. The Mahler 3 is in the archive from Feb 10.
    Yes, I got that email too! I imagine they want to mitigate the PR disaster, but it's certainly nice of them, and I will take them up on it

There are a couple of videos on Youtube of Simon Rattle talking about the project. He's very enthusiastic (even allowing for his rather anodyne interviewee persona, perhaps not surprising when you think of all the daft and boring questions leading figures in any field get asked!) and is quite clear that this is the way ahead, and talks about the technical aspects, saying they know full well that they're "broadcasting" at a technical level that not many people are capable of receiving yet. It seems to be an investment for the future, as even with Deutsche Bank involvement, it's running at a loss.

Here are some of the links:

The Digital Concert Hall is the virtual concert venue of the Berliner Philharmoniker in the internet. In this unique, visionary project, high-definition came...

In an interview given on the occasion of the opening of the Berliner Philharmoniker's 2009-10 season Principal Conductor Sir Simon Rattle talks to Claus Spah...

In an interview given on the occasion of the opening of the Berliner Philharmoniker's 2009-10 season Principal Conductor Sir Simon Rattle talks to Claus Spah...

Leave a comment:

• Il Grande Inquisitor
    replied
    Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
    I recently invested in a Sony Blu-ray player...
    Likewise, Mahlerei! Mine arrived on Saturday along with new tv. Once I got hold of a HDMI cable to connect it up, I then plugged in the internet connection and discovered the Berlin PO link. I had a look through the archive trailers and fully intend to buy a 24 hour pass later in the week, when I have a day off. I had also ordered a blu-ray sampler of the Valencia/ Mehta Ring cycle; I had seen Das Rheingold last year on SkyArts, but was just blown away by the tremendous picture and sound quality!

Leave a comment:

• BillyR
    Guest replied
    Yeah, I've been playing with it today and although it seems to be needlessly convoluted I think I can get used to it. Been listening to Ton Koopman conduct Mozart & Bach and enjoying it very much. At least I was. It dropped off a couple of times and I clicked out for now, but I'm pretty sure some inclement weather in my neighborhood is affecting my Internet.

Leave a comment:

• Threni
    Guest replied
    It's quite easy Petrushka when you get use to it. It took me about three days.

Leave a comment:

• Petrushka
    replied
    Originally posted by BillyR View Post
    Thanks for that link, Threni. I guess the .tv suffix was the reason the search engines didn't find it. That site looks promising, and I'll take a close look at it.

Meanwhile, thanks also to Uncle Monty, Spatny, Petrushka and others for the info about the BPO site. It's becoming more and more likely that I'll sample it with a 24 hour pass before long.
    I've tried Medici TV but find it an impossible clutter to have to wade through and gave up on it. The site really needs some order brought to it out of the chaos that currently exists and until that happens I won't be sampling again.

Leave a comment:

• BillyR
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Threni View Post
    http://www.medici.tv/

I have to say it takes some getting use to! I preefare the iPhone app but streaming via apple tv doesn't seem to work on it.
    Thanks for that link, Threni. I guess the .tv suffix was the reason the search engines didn't find it. That site looks promising, and I'll take a close look at it.

Meanwhile, thanks also to Uncle Monty, Spatny, Petrushka and others for the info about the BPO site. It's becoming more and more likely that I'll sample it with a 24 hour pass before long.

Leave a comment:

• Petrushka
    replied
    Had an e-mail from the BPO Digital Concert Hall admitting that they had technical problems on Saturday which logged everybody out and as compo they have given a free 24 hour pass! Considering I made good use of Saturday's pass by trawling the archive this is a generous gesture. The Mahler 3 is in the archive from Feb 10.

Threni: There is a Boulez performance of The Song of the Nightingale in the archive.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Monty
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Monty View Post
    Harrumph I'm afraid you're probably right! I just have a "Hut 6 at Bletchley Park" mentality -- I absolutely WILL crack that code

It looks as though Applian Replay Media Catcher will do it. Certainly works on the free-play video of Rattle and the youth orchestra

There seems to have been huge interest in the Mahler 3 concert. I'm assuming the site crashed under the weight of demand. But it's already in the archive, so no great loss, though obviously frustrating for those who had set aside Saturday evening to watch it.

[Edit: Apparently it's still being edited, but will appear in the archive v. soon.]
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-11, 16:15.

Leave a comment:

• Spatny
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Threni View Post
    On the Berlin one do you pay for the concert and watch it as many times as you want? How does it work? I notice requiem canticles is on later in the year, wouldn't mind watching that!
    Hi, you pay for 24hrs, 30 days or 1 year ticket. You have unlimited access to the archived content and live concerts within your ticket time scale. Last Saturday was not a great advert for digitial concert hall, with no access to the concert or the archives. if you have a newer Sony TV or blu ray player, the archives can be accessed using their built in internet facility.

Leave a comment:

• Threni
    Guest replied
    On the Berlin one do you pay for the concert and watch it as many times as you want? How does it work? I notice requiem canticles is on later in the year, wouldn't mind watching that!

Leave a comment:

• Petrushka
    replied
    Apart from the problems I had last night with the live event navigating this site is simplicity itself. I've been using my 24 hour pass to get my money's worth by accessing the archive. I've just watched a terrific Mahler 7 under Bernard Haitink while last night I watched Rattle conduct Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances and Mahler 1. Audio downloaded to my hard drive.

There do seem to be issues with heavy demand for live concerts though hopefully this can be sorted. The stunning sound quality is better than most CD's in my collection.
    Last edited by Petrushka; 06-02-11, 15:05.

Leave a comment:

• salymap
    replied
    Cellini I've had trouble with [not] downloading the flash player latest. You just go round in circles with it.
    Once again, glad it's not just me!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X