• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Yuja Wang, Sakari Oramo, Prokofiev/Nielsen, Chicago 4/6/13

Attended a great concert last night.
    I have a Blu Ray featuring Ms Wang playing the Prokofiev 3rd with Abbado, but she was positively on fire last night. The conductor and the Orchestra looked harried to keep up but it was the most thrilling performance I've been to in years. There was loud and well earned applause after each movement.
    This is the second time I've heard the CSO in Nielsen's 5th, as Parvo Jaarvi presented it here a few years ago. This is a most welcome development as I have long felt Nielsen's music to be woefully underrepresented in the States (the CSO performed the 3rd last year). Oramo wan't as exciting as Jaarvi in the first movement --i thought that the snare drummer, who is supposed to improvise to impede the progress of the Orchestra, was very timid--but the rest of the work fared better, with a rousing conclusion.
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Very weak snare drummer in Chicago's Mahler 6.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Anyone intending to take on the snare drum part in Nielsen 5 should first demonstrate their disruptive skills in Skempton's "Drum Number 1".

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Sounds like a good idea Bryn!!

I have her cd 'Fantasie'. Really good that and also went to the Prom concert, what was it two years ago, playing one of Bartok's PCs(cant remeber which one!), with Andrew Litton conducting.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
        X