Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BARBIROLLI - new repertoire.

It's now 43 years since the great man died, I shudder to think of that - I attended his last London concert in 1970 - and now some new repertoire has turned up. Recently issued on ICA Classics (2 CDs for the price of one) a radio concert with the Köln Radio Symphony orchestra (today's WDR Symphony orchestra)
    Two works that JB never recorded commercially - Schubert 4th symphony "Tragic"(there was a NY phiharmonic broadcast from the 1930's) and for me the jewel ,Britten's Serenade for Tenor,Horn and strings, with Gerald English and Hermann Baumann. CD 2 has JB on fine form in yet another Sibelius 2nd symphony.
    Beautifull playing and great conducting ,splendidly recorded in stereo.
    This is highly recommended.
    slarty

Available here:

Sir John Barbirolli conducts Sibelius, Schubert & Britten. ica classics: ICAC5096. Buy 2 CDs or download online. with Gerald English (tenor) & Hermann Baumann (horn) Kölner Rundfunk-Sinfonie Orchester, Sir John Barbirolli

... and here:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Thank you for that. Duly ordered.

Comment

[QUOTE=slarty;298851 Recently issued on ICA Classics (2 CDs for the price of one)
        [/QUOTE]

Inflation: since when has £17.75 been "the price of one"?

Comment

Good value, even at the price of one and a half! The performance of the Serenade is revelatory!

Comment

The Schubert 4 is magnificent too .

Comment

For those who haven't splahed out yet, less costly offers here

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                For those who haven't splahed out yet, less costly offers here

http://www.amazon.fr/Legacy-Sir-John...Barbirolli+ICA
                Bravo Alain! - many thanks

Comment

Try before you buy: http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/5060244550964

The Serenade is as wonderful as everyone says it is.
                  It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    Try before you buy: http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/5060244550964

The Serenade is as wonderful as everyone says it is.
                    The Serenade is a warm, passionate performance - the Sibelius2 is superb if not quite at the heights of the RPO recording. The Schubert 4 is now my favourite recording of the work by some way.

Comment

amateur51, or anybody else: it's useful always to check other Amazon sites, French, German, or US. There are some major discrepancies in prices. The only things to beware of are the long shipping times from the US, the possibility of VAT if your purchase from outside the EU is more than about £18, and the cost of postage within the EU (buying from Amazon the price will be as displayed, but many 'marketplace' sellers opt to use couriers and may not be able to ship outside their national borders).

Comment

Working...
                      X