Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Rafferty's wonderful guest saxophonist

Did anybody hear this afternoon's 'In Tune'?
    I switched on having missed the first bit of a lovely piece by Richard Rodney Bennett for what I thought was a soprano saxophone and piano, beautifully played and amazingly 'in tune' ( no pun intended).
    I was astounded when SR told us that it was played on the FLUTE by the LSO's principal player, Gareth Davies. On reflection, his vibrato was much more controlled and less intrusive than that applied to many saxophones.
    I wonder if this style of flute playing is a relatively new departure, to be found in not only the LSO but other UK orchestras? It was lovely for Bennett but perhaps a bit too much like aural liquid honey for other more mainstream repertoire.

I did hear it and thought it was lovely flute playing although I would expect the principle flute of the LSO to be pretty fabulous. You did miss Ron Shafferty introducing Mr. Davies as Mr. Jones though. Mr. Davies was very relaxed about it but it was a huge gaff. (And our next guest is the violinist Ida Smith - sorry, HAENDEL)

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I did hear it and thought it was lovely flute playing although I would expect the principle flute of the LSO to be pretty fabulous. You did miss Ron Shafferty introducing Mr. Davies as Mr. Jones though. Mr. Davies was very relaxed about it but it was a huge gaff. (And our next guest is the violinist Ida Smith - sorry, HAENDEL)
      Standard.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I thought this was going to be about Bob Holness and Baker Street.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
          I thought this was going to be about Bob Holness and Baker Street.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            Ida known (if you'd handed me the script), as in? And if he couldn't be relied upon to get Ida Haendel right, whatever kind of mess might he make of Alina Ibragimova? That said, to some people from where Mr Shafferty comes from, Davieses and Joneses are surely interchangeable (I didn't say that they should be - merely that they might be so regarded). Who is or was this Richard Redney Bonnett anyway? By the way, has Mr Rafe-for-Tea yet done an obit for Henry Duty-free, or something? - and might he think that l'Arbre des Songes is all about a certain kind of environmentalist's vision of cutting down forests to provide pellets for biomass boilers? Oh, never mind!...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              l'Arbre des Songes
              He'd make that sound like a feature in the London Zoo ape-house.

Comment

Working...
              X