X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rowan Tree
    • Jun 2024

Lunchtime Concert today

Suzyn Klein tells us that the Capucon/ Braley recording of the complete Beethoven Violin Sonatas received rave reviews. I thought today's performance of the Op 24 Op 30 sonatas the dullest I've heard. Perhaps I got out of bed the wrong side this morning but it sounded to me these two performers are a bit too familiar with this music and were today on autopilot.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-11, 15:13.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rowan Tree View Post
    Perhaps I got out of bed the wrong side this morning but it sounded to me these two performers are a bit too familiar with this music and were today on autopilot.
    It happens, particularly if it's a new release and they're travelling around advertising it.

(Another nitpick: I wish R3 wouldn't refer to reviews in this way. Let people judge by the performance on the day.)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cellini

Yes, very dissapointing, safe playing. And where they did take liberties I felt it was wrong! Apparently they once played all 10 sonatas in one concert - so we were told. What's the point I ask?

I think their performance was very French and I was most unimpressed by both of them. I'm pleased I did not attend this concert.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-02-11, 15:43. Reason: SPELLING

Comment

Working...
      X