No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JEG conducts All Bach Live on 3 on Friday 14th

Live from Snape Maltings at the 2013 Aldeburgh Festival

Sir John Eliot Gardiner conducts the Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra and Violinists Kati Debretzeni and Maya Homburger in an all-Bach programme as he combines cantatas for Ascensiontide with the Violin Concerto in A minor BWV 1041 and one of Bach's best loved instrumental works - the Double Violin Concerto.

Kati Debretzeni, Maya Homburger (violins)
    Peter Harvey (baritone)
    Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra
    John Eliot Gardiner (conductor)

Motet - Singet dem Herrn, BWV 225
    Violin Concerto in A minor, BWV 1041
    Cantata - Ich habe genug, BWV 82
    Concerto for two violins in D minor, BWV 1043
    Cantata - Christ lag in Todesbanden, BWV 4.

Thanks for that doversoul. It certainly looks good. Starts at 7.30.

And a reminder of the last Sibelius concert inthe series tomorrow at 7.30 from the Bridgewater Hall.

Comment

I can never get enough of Ich habe genug. Seriously, isn't it the sublimest opening of any Bach Cantata? Quite a claim, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        I can never get enough of Ich habe genug. Seriously, isn't it the sublimest opening of any Bach Cantata? Quite a claim, I know.
        It's certainly one of the most performed Cantatas, isn't it? The other one played had an Emglish versiom 'Christ lay in death's dark prison',I remember. Think they sound better in the original language although I can't follow every word.

Comment

I can never get enough of JSB! Excellant, doversould, for the call!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

and also BWV 668 Vor deinen Thron tret' ich
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Any JSB lover, should'nt miss this concert, either live or on iplayer.
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I was going to make a smart-alek remark about it certainly being in my favourite 190 of Bach's sacred cantatas, but, also seriously, I don't think anyone could point out a more sublime example.

But I do think that this matches it:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

fhg, I was just about to offer exactly that equally sublime cantata! Pity it wasn't Janet Baker though.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                    fhg, I was just about to offer exactly that equally sublime cantata! Pity it wasn't Janet Baker though.
                    Pity ye not!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Alban Berg might well have agreed!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, my god, that's going to take a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Alban Berg might well have agreed!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, my god, that's going to take a long time!

Comment

Enjoyed part one of this concert very much - nice warm Snape Maltings sound, orchestra a tad restrained but lovely contribution from the soloist, Kati Debretzeni, in the A Minor concerto - clearly articulated but with fantasy and playfulness too. Was the baritone (Peter Harvey) a little stiff in Ich Habe Genug? Not quite at one with JEG's direction? Lovely Monteverdi/ORR sound again, warmly blended and sensuous, waftingly gentle phrasing in the "Slumber song" (Schlummert ein).

To my inexpert ear Singet dem Herrn seemed well-articulated, coolly beautiful... any more experienced Bachians wish to add their thoughts?

The rather long introductions from presenter and JEG meant a late interval, so I couldn't stay on for Part 2 - I had fish to cook and only heard the wonderful Cantata No. 4 on the little kitchen radio - made a strong impression nonetheless!

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            Enjoyed part one of this concert very much - nice warm Snape Maltings sound, orchestra a tad restrained but lovely contribution from the soloist, Kati Debretzeni, in the A Minor concerto - clearly articulated but with fantasy and playfulness too. Was the baritone (Peter Harvey) a little stiff in Ich Habe Genug? Not quite at one with JEG's direction? Lovely Monteverdi/ORR sound again, warmly blended and sensuous, waftingly gentle phrasing in the "Slumber song" (Schlummert ein).

To my inexpert ear Singet dem Herrn seemed well-articulated, coolly beautiful... any more experienced Bachians wish to add their thoughts?

The rather long introductions from presenter and JEG meant a late interval, so I couldn't stay on for Part 2 - I had fish to cook and only heard the wonderful Cantata No. 4 on the little kitchen radio - made a strong impression nonetheless!
                            I must be listening to too much Vivaldi and Telemann (composers not as good as Bach in JEG’s words) played by the likes of Europa Galante and Concerto Koln. Or it may be an effect of the transmission but the two Violin concertos sounded awfully polite. As for Ich Habe Genug, I agree with you, Jaye: the baritone sounded stiff which made the listening hard work. Missed the cantata 4. Will listen again.

I was surprised to hear JEG rumbling on as he did last night. I didn’t think he was that sort. Ah well, I still have a lot to learn.

Comment

I felt exactly the same as you did JW. And I amn glad that i am not alone with Peter Harvey's rendition of Ich Habe Genung. Buit, yes, otherwise a very good concert.
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X