Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardiff Singer 2013

enjoyed the second two pieces by the Croatian bass/baritone but the rest of the performances were dire to my opera averse ears ... and the young Korean who opened was clearly afflicted by nerves but had a very listen-able voice ... not an impressive start though ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

This event is not really my tasse de the but do recognise the heritage of this event with its illustrious list of past winners (and unlucky losers).

However, the sainted Donald MacLeod (who is presumably covering this for R3) has announced on his Twitter feed that there have been some bizarre judging decisions. Is scandal about to rear its head at Cardiff?

Comment

The winner of last night's round on television was embarrassingly obvious. I think they said the poor Korean lad was not well. Not a wise choice of repertoire!

Comment

I didn't know that the tenor was unwell, he was certainly a bag of nerves and barely able to sing in that horrible yelping piece. The English soprano had a good round and chose bravely but perhaps not well with the Meistersinger excerpt. I think that showpiece top B really won it for the American mezzo whom I gather was, by some margin, the most experienced performer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
          The winner of last night's round on television was embarrassingly obvious. I think they said the poor Korean lad was not well. Not a wise choice of repertoire!
          Agreed. I suspect the Cardiff Singer jury will have some tough decisions this week. Concert 1 wasn't one of them.

Ahead of her appearance this evening in Concert 3 (broadcast on BBC Four tomorrow), here is my interview with Portuguese soprano Susana Gaspar:

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

The range of experience, and to a lesser degree, ages, does make the whole "X is a better singer than Y" thing just a bit of a nonsense, doesn't it? Quite apart from the meaninglessness of "better" in this sort of context. I think I'd rather see the event run simply as a showcase rather than a competition.

Comment

Listened to tonight's round. The Argentinian did indeed have a super voice, though her repertoire was a bit narrow. They also chose the Italian soprano to go to the finale, I'm sorry but were the judges listening to the same performance as I was? She was poor, a weak Verdi and just about the worst performance I've ever heard of 'One Fine Day' the final top note was horribly flat and she was 'under the note' far too often. I wonder if looks had more to do with it than ability?

The Bridge orchestral song sung by the British tenor was gorgeous, though he didn't quite do it justice, his lower notes weren't strong enough. Must dig out the recording I have of the Bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                They also chose the Italian soprano to go to the finale, I'm sorry but were the judges listening to the same performance as I was?
                I agree completely. I was astonished when she was included in the final five. Of those I heard, Jamie Barton (US mezzo) remains top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                  I agree completely. I was astonished when she was included in the final five. Of those I heard, Jamie Barton (US mezzo) remains top of my list.
                  Surely we've got enough excellent US mezzos to be going on with? Have they a secret production-line somewhere?
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

The Argentinian was the real McCoy. A fully-formed bel canto singer. She must be the winner IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
                      The range of experience, and to a lesser degree, ages, does make the whole "X is a better singer than Y" thing just a bit of a nonsense, doesn't it? Quite apart from the meaninglessness of "better" in this sort of context. I think I'd rather see the event run simply as a showcase rather than a competition.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I heard that one of the BBC Four highlights programmes included a short feature about how present-day opera singers are, of necessity, thinner, more attractive and better actors than their equivalents in the past. Did anyone catch it? And if so, do you remember which night it was? I've had a quick flick through the episodes available on the iPlayer but can't seem to turn it up.

A bit ironic, given that the winner of the song competition, who was rightly described by one of the commentators as highly operatic, isn't exactly sylph-like.

I would like to have seen the fabulous tenor from Belarus - who was also highly operatic - in the main final.

Many thanks.
                        Last edited by Bert Coules; 22-06-13, 21:34.

Comment

Astonishing win - like I mean unexpected. Didn't think her intonation was all that good, and it was just foot forward blam.....and as a SONG singer....hmm. Opera maybe, but......crikey!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
                            I would like to have seen the fabulous tenor from Belarus - who was also highly operatic - in the main final.
                            He was good, but too much trouble at his top, methinks, Bert.

Comment

I'm with Ian Burneside on this (The Song Prize). I would travel a long way to hear Ben Johnson's subtlety. Maybe at the live performance I would have been bowled over by the eventual winner, but not on the radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X