No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kent Nagano conducts Bruckner 8 on Skyarts 2 today

Today (22nd June)at 2.00pm
    Kent Nagano with the Deutches Symphonie Orchester of Berlin, analyses Bruckner's 8th symphony; followed at 3.00pm by a complete performance.

After hearing his Alpine Symphony performance with the same orchestra yesterday, I have no hesitation in recommending fellow message boarders to sample this conductor's reading of what is argueably Bruckner's major symphonic work.

NBKeep a lookout for that wonderful writing for the Wagner Tubas

Happy viewing!

HS

Looks like they might be working their way through the six in the series issued some years ago on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Looks like they might be working their way through the six in the series issued some years ago on DVD.
      Have you checked that your DVDs are still on the shelf, Bryn? Could be that the Dirty Digger has half-inched them for this broadcast series

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Have you checked that your DVDs are still on the shelf, Bryn? Could be that the Dirty Digger has half-inched them for this broadcast series
        I only have the Strauss volume. From what I have read the analysis of the Bruckner is decidedly shallow. I think I will stick at the one volume I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I only have the Strauss volume. From what I have read the analysis of the Bruckner is decidedly shallow. I think I will stick at the one volume I have.
          Better a shallow analysis on Sky Arts than no analysis at all on the BBC!!

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Better a shallow analysis on Sky Arts than no analysis at all on the BBC!!

Really? Broadcasting a commercially available DVD is going to be better than the Henry Wood BBC Proms 2013 starting in a few weeks time? - what will Sky Arts have on then I wonder?

The whole BBC package costs £145 pa - what's the cost of Sky Arts, I wonder.

Comment

Really? Broadcasting a commercially available DVD is going to be better than the Henry Wood BBC Proms 2013 starting in a few weeks time? - what will Sky Arts have on then I wonder?

The whole BBC package costs £145 pa - what's the cost of Sky Arts, I wonder.
              And what Classical Music will BBC TV have on once the Proms have finished? Barely enough to register.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

And what Classical Music will BBC TV have on once the Proms have finished? Barely enough to register.
                And the cost of Sky Arts Mr Pee? It's gone very quiet over there.

Comment

Hmm, what Sky Arts have been broadcasting in this case is a c. 2006 production by BFMI for Deutsche Welle in co-production with Unitel. I think you will find that most of the classical material broadcast by Sky Arts is bought in, and of varying vintage. There's a fair bit of old BBC material recycled there too. Would that there was more such on the Beeb. Sadly, I don't think Radio 3 has even done a Discovering Music re. Bruckner's 8th.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 22-06-13, 20:55.

Comment

Well that's because it's a bit of a meaningless question. I pay my 31.50 per month to Sky, of which 10.00 is for the Hi-Def option, and of course that covers not just Sky Arts 1 and 2, but all the other Sky Channels, except for sports and movies. The Formula One channel is included, which is my sport of choice, as are many other channels which show programmes of interest, such as The South Bank Show, Playhouse Presents, The Book Show, Game of Thrones -which I love-and many more too numerous to mention; for example I have just watched the second of a brand new eight part series on Sky 1 ,presented by David Attenborough. Filmed in Hi-Def and using revolutionary new filiming techniques, it is a fascinating if somewhat grisly look at the insect world- also available in 3D if I had a 3D telly!

With the dismal offerings generally available on the terrestrial channels Sky gives me a wealth of choice and I for one would not be without it. The Arts Channels are just a welcome part of the overall package. I consider it worth every penny. I know you disagree.....but then you thought Vicious was actually worth watching, so there's no accounting for taste....

Mark Twain.

Comment

Well that's because it's a bit of a meaningless question. I pay my 31.50 per month to Sky, of which 10.00 is for the Hi-Def option, and of course that covers not just Sky Arts 1 and 2, but all the other Sky Channels, except for sports and movies. The Formula One channel is included, which is my sport of choice, as are many other channels which show programmes of interest, such as The South Bank Show, Playhouse Presents, The Book Show, Game of Thrones -which I love-and many more too numerous to mention; for example I have just watched the second of a brand new eight part series on Sky 1 ,presented by David Attenborough. Filmed in Hi-Def and using revolutionary new filiming techniques, it is a fascinating if somewhat grisly look at the insect world- also available in 3D if I had a 3D telly!

With the dismal offerings generally available on the terrestrial channels Sky gives me a wealth of choice and I for one would not be without it. The Arts Channels are just a welcome part of the overall package. I consider it worth every penny. I know you disagree.....but then you thought Vicious was actually worth watching, so there's no accounting for taste....
                      Good to see that austerity has not hit Chichester and environs too hard.

Comment

As this comment was being posted I was watching some classical music on BBC Four.

I pay £47.25 per month (£567 per annum) - reluctantly - to Sky, but I am a sports fan and do not want to be deprived of live cricket, tennis, rugby, football etc. On this package they throw in hundreds of other channels which I do not need and hardly ever watch. I occasionally watch Sky Arts but not enough to justify paying for it. I would not really miss it too much, because classical music on TV or DVD does play not a big part in my appreciation of music.

BBC TV certainly doesn't show nearly as much classical music as some of us would like, but I have been enjoying the Cardiff Singers over the last six nights and loved the Song Final earlier this evening.

The licence fee is a pittance compared to what my wife and I (willingly) spend per annum on concert and opera visits.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          BBC TV certainly doesn't show nearly as much classical music as some of us would like
                          Very true - but Sky Radio is rubbish. And as for the Sky Symphony Orchestra, the Sky Philharmonic, the Sky Scottish Symphony Orchestra, the Sky National Orchestra of Wales, the Sky Singers, the Sky Concert Orchestra ... well!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Very true - but Sky Radio is rubbish. And as for the Sky Symphony Orchestra, the Sky Philharmonic, the Sky Scottish Symphony Orchestra, the Sky National Orchestra of Wales, the Sky Singers, the Sky Concert Orchestra ... well!
                            That's as maybe, but they do seem to have that wonderful musician André Rieu somewhat in tow.

Comment

Sky Arts 1 and 2 are both minority channels, equivalent to BBC4 or indeed Radio 3 in terms of viewers/ listeners. I am sure it would make perfect sense from a financial point of view for BSkyB to drop them both. But the company have not done so, and indeed have invested in some significant new series, such as The South Bank Show and Playhouse. Yes, they show some commercially available DVD/Blu-Rays, but that means such performances are available at the touch of a button, to record and watch at leisure, at no extra cost to me. I'm going to settle down later on with the BPO 2013 "Waldbune" Tchaikovsky programme, including the 5th Symphony.

Can you imagine the cost of filling a minority interest TV channel with newly commisioned and produced arts programmes 24/7, 365 days a year? It would be astronomical. And as for Andre Rieu- now that the two weeks of overkill are finished, he's not on that much, and when he is- I'll probably be watching the BPO playing Tchaik 5 anyway.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X