No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Radio 3 New Generation Artists roster announced

The New Generation Artists 2013-15 are:

Danish String Quartet – String Quartet (Denmark)

In 2009 the Danish String Quartet not only won First Prize in the Eleventh London International String Quartet Competition, but their performance was so convincing that it was awarded four additional prizes: the 20th Century Prize, the Beethoven Prize, the Sidney Griller Award and the Menton Festival Prize. In January 2012 the quartet were appointed to the prestigious Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center Two programme beginning with the 2013-2014 season.

Kitty Whately – Mezzo Soprano (UK)
    Kitty Whately studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, and the Royal College of Music International Opera School. Kitty was the winner of the Kathleen Ferrier Award 2011 and the 59th Royal Overseas League Award for Singers, and in 2012 she was chosen to be a member of the prestigious Verbier Festival Academy in 2012.

Olena Tokar - Soprano (Ukraine)
    Soprano Olena Tokar was a finalist in the 2013 Cardiff Singer of the World competition. In 2012 she was awarded 1st Prizes both at the Lortzing Competition in Leipzig and at the renowned ARD International Music Competition in Munich.

Lise Berthaud - Viola (France)
    Lise Berthaud was a prize winner of the European Young Instrumentalists Competition in 2000 and won the Hindemith Prize at the Geneva International Competition in 2005. In 2009 she was short listed by the Victoires de la Musique Classique as “Révélation de l’Année” (Newcomer of the Year).

Louis Schwizgebel – Piano (Switzerland)

Pianist Louis Schwitzgebel secured 2nd prize at the Leeds International Piano Competition, where his performance of Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 4 with the Hallé Orchestra under Sir Mark Elder in the final round was broadcast live on BBC Four and BBC Radio 3. At the age of 17 he was the winner of the Geneva International Music Competition.

Zhang Zuo - Piano (China)
    Zhang Zuo has garnered a host of awards, including first prizes at the 3rd Shanghai International Piano Competition, the 7th International Franz Liszt Piano Competition, and a ‘Vendome Virtuoso’ award from Vendome Prize competition. In 2013 she won 5th prize at the 2013 Queen Elisabeth International Piano Competition.

The New Generation Artists come from a wide field, and represent a cross-section of the most exciting and talented young musicians in Britain and internationally today. The scheme opens up a wide range of opportunities over two years to develop their live and recorded performances for radio, including live broadcasts with BBC orchestra, lunchtime concerts from around the UK and regular studio recordings. The artists are also encouraged to be involved in chamber music collaborations with fellow NGAs.

Last year’s selection of New Generation Artists, who remain on the scheme for another year are: tenor Robin Tritschler (Ireland), classical guitarist Sean Shibe (UK), jazz saxophonist Trish Clowes (UK), cellist Leonard Elschenbroich (Germany), clarinettist Mark Simpson (UK), Apollon Musagate Quartet (Poland) and violinist Elena Urioste (USA). The New Generation Artists for 2013 will join the artists from 2012 on the scheme and listeners will be able to hear the New Generation Artists on air throughout the year.

Thnks for this info, Ams.

Does anyone actually know how long each New Generation Artist's "tenure" lasts? I get the impression that it is longer than the actual year of announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Thnks for this info, Ams.

Does anyone actually know how long each New Generation Artist's "tenure" lasts? I get the impression that it is longer than the actual year of announcement.
      This announcement says they'll be NGAs from 2013 to 2015 - but as 2013 is nearly over, it's rather hard to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        This announcement says they'll be NGAs from 2013 to 2015 - but as 2013 is nearly over, it's rather hard to tell.
        Steady on, ami: there's still a quarter left! It does sound, however, as if they follow the Academic Year.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Steady on, ami: there's still a quarter left! It does sound, however, as if they follow the Academic Year.
          Sorry ferney - I've just paid the gas bill and the next one should be covered for the first time by my Winter Fuel Payment

Getting older has its compensations

Comment

Who decides on the lucky winners?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
            X