BBC Phil under Juanjo Mena play Arnold, Walton & Prokofiev on Saturday 12th October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

BBC Phil under Juanjo Mena play Arnold, Walton & Prokofiev on Saturday 12th October

I'm looking forward to attending what promises to be a splendid concert at the Bridgewater, Manchester on Saturday evening. The BBC Philharmonic under Juanjo Mena with Midori as soloist are playing:

Malcolm Arnold: Peterloo Overture
    Walton: Violin Concerto
    Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet (selection)

I’m glad the Walton concerto has been programmed which is one favourite concertos in the repertoire.

It's a weekend of International Football so there should be no football traffic associated with either Man Utd or Man City playing at home.
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

A splendidly entertaining evening from the BBC Phil. Midori got off to a slow and uneven start with some intonation problems too but recovered to give a fine performance of the Walton violin concerto. What a wonderful work Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet is and I loved the selections from the suites chosen by Juanjo Mena. I like to hear Malcolm Arnold's Peterloo Overture from time to time which got the evening off to a rousing start.
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-10-13, 22:22.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      A splendidly entertaining evening from the BB Phil. Midori got off to a slow and unveven start with some intonation probelms too but recovered to give a fine performance of the Walton violin concerto. What wonderful work Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet is and I loved the selections from the suites chosen by Juanjo Mena. I like to hear Malcolm Arnold's Peterloo Overture from time to time which got the evening off to a rousing start.
      Is it to be broadcast at a later date Stanfordian ? Hornspieler was looking for this concert on the Walton vln concerto BaL thread yesterday.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        Is it to be broadcast at a later date Stanfordian ? Hornspieler was looking for this concert on the Walton vln concerto BaL thread yesterday.
        Hiya salymap, Yes, all BBC Phil concerts are recorded. In the concert programme notes it says that it "was being recorded for future broadcast. It will available for 7 days after broadcast via the Radio 3 website and the BBC iPlayer app. Radio 3 is streamed in HD sound online." I'm really surprised by the lack on interest in this concert. Having said that I've always thought that the Hallé has the far greatest support in Manchester and internationally too.
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-10-13, 16:10.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Yes, HS and Caliban seemed 'confused' asto where they had seen it commented on.

Let's hope they see this Stanfordian

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Hiya salymap, Yes, all BBC Phil concerts are recorded. In the concert programme notes it says that it "was being recorded for future broadcast. It will available for 7 days after broadcast via the Radio 3 website and the BBC iPlayer app. Radio 3 is streamed in HD sound online." I'm really surprised by the lack on interest in this concert. Having said that I've always thought that the Hallé has the far greatest support in Manchester and internationally too.
            In an ideal world I'd love to have been there Stan but with work and family stuff it's just not always possible.
            I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post your reviews though.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Don't know about lack of interest - your post has had, as I type, 102 views. We can't comment as yet on a concert we haven't heard. Rather surprised this wasn't broadcast live as I was under the impression that opera had been banished to Monday evenings. Very fine Rite of Spring from Nottingham last Wednesday from Mena and the BBCPO. Still available on the I-player for all but those afflicted with Rite fatigue to enjoy.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

I know it's a long way off but I've got my eye on these

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  In an ideal world I'd love to have been there Stan but with work and family stuff it's just not always possible.
                  I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post your reviews though.
                  Hiya EdgeleyRob, Nothing personal meant. But I'm still surprised there was not more interest in this concert generally, especially with the programming of the Britten violin concerto and the Arnold overture. I would suggest that when the BBC decide to broadcast it it's certainly worth taking the time out to hear it.
                  Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-10-13, 22:11.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Hiya EdgeleyRob, Nothing personal meant. But I'm still surprised there was not more interest in this concert generally, especially with the programming of the Britten violin concerto and the Arnold overture. I would suggest that when the BCC decide to broadcast it it's certainly worth taking the time out to hear it.
                    I know there wasn't and I will certainly listen.

Comment

• Simon B
                      • Dec 2010

Stanfordian, having been there myself I commented (i.e. waffled on rather) on the "What was your last concert?" thread elsewhere (http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...695#post341695). The complication being that it's not been broadcast yet, so it's a bit ambiguous where comment belongs.

Re support for the Hallé rather than Philharmonic: Certainly not by me, though as I just visit I perhaps don't count! The Hallé was a distant nowhere in the straight "which is the better orchestra" stakes prior to Elder's arrival. It was clearly hanging grimly on for life and very nearly letting go. Now it's a completely different matter of course...

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Hiya EdgeleyRob, Nothing personal meant. But I'm still surprised there was not more interest in this concert generally, especially with the programming of the Britten violin concerto and the Arnold overture. I would suggest that when the BCC decide to broadcast it it's certainly worth taking the time out to hear it.
                        Was there a good turn out in the hall, Stan?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Was there a good turn out in the hall, Stan?
                          They had closed the gallery and choir areas in the Bridgewater but from what I could see what was left was pretty full. As concert was chosen as family friendly forming part of the orchestra’s 'Journey through Music' scheme it was pleasing to see a number of young people in the audience.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Hiya EdgeleyRob, I like lots of varying types of music but those two concerts are right up my alley.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

They had closed the gallery and choir areas in the Bridgewater but from what I could see what was left was pretty full. As concert was chosen as family friendly forming part of the orchestra’s 'Journey through Music' scheme it was pleasing to see a number of young people in the audience.
                              well that all sounds encouraging.

Look forward to hearing it on the radio before too long.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X