X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Yuri Temirkanov's 75th Birthday Concert at RFH : Prokofiev & Rachmaninov

Yuri Temirkanov conducts the Philharmonia Orchestra in Prokofiev and Rachmaninov, in a concert to mark the conductor's 75th birthday.

live from the Royal Festival Hall, London 31st October, 2013 at 19.30 introduced by Petroc Trelawny.
    Prokofiev: Symphony no.1, 'Classical'
    Prokofiev: Violin Concerto no.2
    Rachmaninov: Symphony no.2

Vilde Frang (violin) Philharmonia Orchestra Yuri Temirkanov (conductor)
    Radio 3 has given us a deal of Soviet music in the last few weeks. A recent broadcast concert suggested that the Philharmonia were back on fine form. I shall be interested to hear Vilde Frang, who impressed during this years's Prom season, in my favourite Prokofiev concerto.
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Gracious me a woman soloist - how will Temirkanov cope ?

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Gracious me a woman soloist - how will Temirkanov cope ?
      Oh no they can play instruments; they just don't have the natural authority to conduct.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Radio 3's macaronic listing page really is very odd isn't it...

19:30

Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev
        Symphony no. 1 in D major Op.25 (Classical)

Conductor: Юрий Хатуевич Темирканов. Performer: Philharmonia Orchestra.

Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev
        Concerto no. 2 in G minor Op.63 for violin and orchestra

Conductor: Юрий Хатуевич Темирканов. Performer: Vilde Frang. Performer: Philharmonia Orchestra.

Philharmonia part 2

Sergey Vasilievich Rachmaninov
        Symphony no. 2 in E minor Op.27

Conductor: Юрий Хатуевич Темирканов. Performer: Philharmonia Orchestra

Don't mind the Russian - but why not the composers' names too (and why two spellings of 'Sergey/i' ? )

It smacks of a botch-job
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          ... and why two spellings of 'Sergey/i' ?
          Intrigued, I popped along to Wikiland to look up the two composers' first names in the "Russian" (?"Cyrilic"?) alphabet: bothe are identical ("Cepre - and then a back-to-front capital "N" with a wiggle over the top) - except that the second "e" in Rachmaninoff's name has an acute accent over it.

Perhaps it's like Sara/Sarah?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Intrigued, I popped along to Wikiland to look up the two composers' first names in the "Russian" (?"Cyrilic"?) alphabet: bothe are identical ("Cepre - and then a back-to-front capital "N" with a wiggle over the top) - except that the second "e" in Rachmaninoff's name has an acute accent over it.

Perhaps it's like Sara/Sarah?
            Very eeeeenteresting Meeeester Bond

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

She is a wonderful young player and no conservatoire identikit young violinist.

She plays with such character . I was thinking about getting tickets to go and see her in Liverpool in the Britten and Korngold concertos - with that other Russian who thinks little of woman conductors !

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

An enjoyable evening from the Royal Festival Hall with Ian Skelly our amiable host.

Never a dull moment in the Rach Symphony with Mr Temirkanov our amiable guide.

Just wish I could enjoy the piece as comprehensively as once the case. Or is it that the young

Andre Previn has never been matched in this towering work?

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

I was disappointed with Temirkanov’s account of Prokofiev’s Classical Symphony because it was too heavy on its feet, gallant it was not, this was Haydn and Mozart seen through the eyes of Soviet Realism. No blame attached to the Philharmonia which did the conductor’s bidding, including a hectic, yet accurate, presto for the finale.

Were I to save only two works of Prokofiev from the flames it would be his first symphony and the second violin concerto – the latter for its wealth of luscious melody that reaches its apogee in its second, slow movement. I did feel that the conductor set rather too fast a pace for this marvel of tune & counter-tune but Miss Frang responded well and found a delightful lilt for the main subject- making it relaxed, as if her hips were swinging from side to side in remembrance of past happiness. The finale was well judged.

I find the present Philharmonia to be restored to its former glories. My word did it rip into Rachmaninov’s E minor symphony with relish. This was Rachmaninov in full Technicolor. No line was too insignificant to be given purpose, shape & direction and some of the crisp rhythms in the scherzo were electrifying. My touchstone in the Rachmaninov symphonies is Vladimir Ashkenazy and the RCO. If I characterise that as an “aristocratic” performance reflecting Rachmaninov’s middle class background, this Temirkanov performance drew a picture of Rachmaninov the young, hot-blooded, passionate Russian. Wow, it was more priapic than a bordello packed with sailors fresh in port after long sea journey. I was fascinated to hear, for the first time, the parallel between that part of the scherzo that dissolves into a warm, luscious romantic tune, and a strikingly similar moment in the first of Rachmaninov’s Symphonic Dances when the tempo and clatter slackens, the sky darkens, stars twinkle whilst a Babushka (saxophone) intones a melody from the very heart of old Russia. Any man reaching 75 year old would be proud to present a performance as virile as tonight’s. Was it all down to the bottle of Scotch presented in the final rehearsal, or were the Philharmonia on a high having conquered all in the annual orchestral soccer competition this afternoon?

[After such a tour de force, I took exception to Petroc,booming like a captain communicating with his sailors in a force 8 gale , giving us a interlude programme that started decorously with a gentle piece of Balakirev but later exploded into a "in-yer-face" improvisation on the full organ of Notre Dame. Insensitive, or what?]
                  Last edited by edashtav; 01-11-13, 16:42. Reason: typo

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Ian Skelly was as pitch perfect as ever . How Petroc t , Katie D and others especially the man who does the BBCSSO concerts could learn from him.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Only heard the Rachmaninov: magnificent, I thought - rich yet with such impetus, wonderful sweep yet details I've never noticed before (and I've played in it!). I want to hear this performance again as soon as possible.
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 07-11-13, 02:33.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Just wish I could enjoy the piece as comprehensively as once the case. Or is it that the young Andre Previn has never been matched in this towering work?
                        It's the same here. The first recording I got of the Rach 2 was Halle/Loughran but the LSO/Previn knocked me for six when I bought it in 1977. I heard Previn and the LSO perform it in November that year and it was unforgettable. I had a real Rach 2 craze for several years in the late 1970s/early 1980s then a very long time went by before I heard it again. Somehow I can't enjoy it as I did in those days.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          It's the same here. The first recording I got of the Rach 2 was Halle/Loughran but the LSO/Previn knocked me for six when I bought it in 1977. I heard Previn and the LSO perform it in November that year and it was unforgettable. I had a real Rach 2 craze for several years in the late 1970s/early 1980s then a very long time went by before I heard it again. Somehow I can't enjoy it as I did in those days.
                          I'm happy to say that I've known it about as long, and it's evergreen for me - listening tonight I was thinking: how could this piece not be one of my desert island eight, I love every phrase of it

Comment

• Rolmill
                            • Nov 2010

I was at the RFH last night - first time I've sat in the choir there - and agree with much of edashtav's review. The Classical symphony opened rather untidily and, despite pretty dashing speeds in the outer movements, wasn't always as light-footed as it (IMV) should be. Some excellent, characterful woodwind playing, though.

My seat position probably distorted the balance between soloist and orchestra in the violin concerto, but I thought Vilde Frang had the measure of the piece both technically and musically. I was happy with the speed chosen for the slow movement and didn't detect any signs of disagreement between conductor and soloist - indeed, they seemed to work well together, although not always quite together in the last movement. I liked the encore, but didn't recognise it - anyone know what it was?

The Rachmaninov had terrific sweep and verve and deservedly got the loudest ovation. I was behind the trombones and tuba, so got the full force of the well-shaped bass lines. Like others, I thought the Philharmonia played superbly and responded very well to YT's direction (I'm not sure I would find it very clear at times!), lovely clarinet solo in the third movement and (again) woodwind excelled throughout.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I'm happy to say that I've known it about as long, and it's evergreen for me - listening tonight I was thinking: how could this piece not be one of my desert island eight, I love every phrase of it

i count myself fortunate to have witnessed from the RFH choir a performance by LSO conducted by Previn in his prime. My vantage point gave me an excellent view of the top of Jack Brymer's bald head as it turned from pink through a variety of shades to deep mulberry as he wove his way through that gorgeous solo in the slow movement

My listening last evening was interrupted by a phone call so I'll be listening again soon.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-11-13, 13:55. Reason: flippin' colons ... or not

Comment

Working...
                              X