No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donizetti's Les Martyrs; 15/11/14 Radio3 & RFH

Donizetti's Les Martyrs

Donizetti's unjustly neglected Les Martyrs, revived at the Royal Festival Hall by Opera Rara and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, conducted by Mark Elder.

Presented by Ivan Hewett and Simon Rees.

Polyeucte.....Michael Spyres (tenor)
    Pauline.....Joyce El-Khoury (soprano)
    Sévère..... David Kempster (baritone)
    Félix.....Brindley Sherratt (bass)
    Calisthènes.....Clive Bayley (bass-baritone)
    Néarque..... Wynne Evans (tenor)
    Opera Rara Chorus
    Renato Balsadonna (chorus director)
    Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment
    Sir Mark Elder (conductor)

Wow - wonderful. 'Unjustly neglected' is right - a thrilling piece & brilliant performance.

Hiya Flosshilde,

I too heard Les Martyrs and I loved it and was amazed at the high drama that was generated. I wish the conductor of Les Martyrs, Sir Mark Elder would do something like this with the Hallé for say a concert performance. The Hallé programme this season is as traditional and unadventurous as I can remember in recent years with only the Shostakovich concertos and a couple of his symphonies seaming adventurous by comparison. But I know it is all about bums on seats. The Berliner Philharmoniker often programme concert/semi staged performances and make it work. When the Hallé in Manchester have done the same is has always worked for me and they should do it far more often. How about a concert performance of say Candide. Sir Mark has been in the pit at the Lowry, Salford playing Bernstein’s musical Wonderful Town. I remember Leonard Bernstein going a successful concert performance of Candide with the London Symphony Orchestra in 1989 at London. I wonder if Sir Mark is too involved with his other non Hallé duties (OAE and Paris Opera) and has taken his eye off the ball in Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Wow - wonderful. 'Unjustly neglected' is right - a thrilling piece & brilliant performance.
      Quite. I used the word 'revelation' in my review. And am delighted that Opera Rara recorded it in the week leading up to the concert.
      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

They did?! It will be added to my 'must have' list

Comment

I was there and not a rubber shark in sight! I said of Maria Stuarda I rather have seen a concert performance and that's what we got here. A totally enjoyable evening and one I'm so pleased to have not missed.

Both Michael Spyres and Joyce El-Khoury had a bit much wobble, aka vibrato, for my ear. I wonder what the musically expert think. Maybe it depends on what one likes or expects, for me it wasn't the solo performances anyway but Act 3 scene 2. Fantastic, if you like opera grand with 6 soloists, chorus and full orchestra all going together.

More, more, more!

Comment

Working...
          X