Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elektra: ROH

Antonio Pappano has selected a couple of orchestral blockbusters for his final year as music director at Covent Garden. A new production of Elektra opens next week, directed by Christof Loy (who also directed Pappano’s debut at the ROH with an elegant Ariadne auf Naxos - nice symmetry there). Nina Stemme and Karita Mattila are daughter and mum. I’m unable to go until the final performance, but there seems to be plenty of tickets available throughout the run. No indication of a future broadcast as of yet. Anyone going?

Yes going to rehearsal Tuesday and perf Monday week. Thanks to the tube strike the rehearsal will involve walking to ROH via Bloomsbury from Paddington with a diversion to the Wigmore hall on Monday night. So I expect to emerge a lot fitter as well as spiritually enriched - mind you it’s not that sort of opera really is it ?

Comment

Well, it does end in C major. What more do you want?

I'll be disappointed if it isn't broadcast. Does anyone know where Tony is going after this?

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post

I'll be disappointed if it isn't broadcast. Does anyone know where Tony is going after this?
        Pappano takes over as Music Director of the LSO later this year (although he's effectively taken over already as he's leading the current season as 'Music Director Designate'). He doesn't have another Opera House appointment lined up as yet.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post

Does it really ? Certainly has a tortured path there. I haven’t seen if live for a very long time.

Comment

Supposedly a shareable link to an article in The Times about Karita Mattila.

Comment

And here's a link to a Sunday Times article on Nina Stemme.

Comment

I enjoy performances the work. It's not a listen at home piece for me but is usually memorable in the theatre.

Going on the 18th and looking forward to it with a couple of caveats. The last Loy production I saw was the ROH's Tristan und Isolde. I was not a fan. I am a fan of Nina Stemme however the last couple of times I saw her, her voice seemed to have gone off slightly. ​

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                  Yes going to rehearsal Tuesday and perf Monday week. Thanks to the tube strike the rehearsal will involve walking to ROH via Bloomsbury from Paddington with a diversion to the Wigmore hall on Monday night. So I expect to emerge a lot fitter as well as spiritually enriched - mind you it’s not that sort of opera really is it ?
                  You can catch the Elizabeth Line from Paddington to Tottenham Court Road on Tuesday morning (Jan 9), as that's not affected by the strike. See you there, 11:30!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

You can catch the Elizabeth Line from Paddington to Tottenham Court Road on Tuesday morning (Jan 9), as that's not affected by the strike. See you there, 11:30!
                    Surely buses will be running? The tfl app is top notch IMVHO for getting around London.

Comment

In fact I can walk from Bloomsbury on Tues am. But I suspect I’ll be walking from Padd to Bloomsbury tomorrow then a return walk to Wigmore hall for a Piano recital . About 6 miles - nothing really . Did 5 miles on Dartmoor today which is some of the trickiest boggiest , grass- clumpiest , walking around but if anything London is much worse become of other pedestrians , road junctions with kamikaze cyclists , and homicidal van drivers.
                      I’m expecting the Elizabeth line to be completely rammed and the bus queues to be lengthy but with WFH perhaps London will be empty. You have a gentle stroll from Charing X of course ….

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                        I’m expecting the Elizabeth line to be completely rammed and the bus queues to be lengthy but with WFH perhaps London will be empty. You have a gentle stroll from Charing X of course ….
                        The tube strike this week has been called off. (Of course you can still walk it if you wish... )

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          The tube strike this week has been called off. (Of course you can still walk it if you wish... )
                          Excellent thanks - walking wasn’t a problem it was getting every thing into a 30L rucksack. I can take my posh shoes now rather than inflict my trainers on the Wigmore Hall audience. The ROH amphitheatre at rehearsals is slightly more forgiving …..

Comment

Although the Tube strike has been called off so this is all rather moot, access to services on the Elizabeth Line in central London were going to be restricted because of station closures, and were also going to start late (7 am) and end early (about 10 pm as I recall), so while it might get you to Covent Garden, you might not be able to use it to get back home again after the performance.
                            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post

Although the Tube strike has been called off so this is all rather moot, access to services on the Elizabeth Line in central London were going to be restricted because of station closures, and were also going to start late (7 am) and end early (about 10 pm as I recall), so while it might get you to Covent Garden, you might not be able to use it to get back home again after the performance.
                              Good point - fortunately academic now, as you say - on the Elizabeth line restrictions; though as the Tuesday ROH dress rehearsal (unless there is stoppage time) is due to finish at 13:30 getting home should be easier than getting there. As Ein Heldenleben rightly deduces, I'll be sauntering up from Charing Cross, all being well!
                              Last edited by Master Jacques; 07-01-24, 20:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X