Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

I can't offhand recall one of his productions which didn't 'do concepts', at least in the design (for which he has to take responsibility). His problem is sometimes not having the rigour to see his concepts through, and diluting them. Having recently sat through his decidedly conceptual take on L'enfant et les sortileges at the Paris Opéra, where the garden scene was turned into a half-baked forum of 1914-18 trench warfare (with the frogs as doomed sappers) I am happy to call his airy bluff on this one. He often workshops his shows beforehand with actors, which is how he picks up those tricks on characterisation.
    Interesting . This is my ( somewhat far fetched ) theory on La Boheme . Both Musetta and Mimi are women and sad symbols - part of a capitalist commodification of women and sex. Musetta is exploited by Alcinodoro a wealthy politician - a symbol of Parisian corruption. When Musetta takes off her knickers (I think they are even red ) she literally becomes a sans culotte - a revolutionary. Buts it’s also a crassly sexual gesture . Mimi in Act 3 has run off and broken up with a rich man who can’t even be bothered to pay her medical bills but is quite happy to exploit her sexually . The muff and the pink bonnet - both ambiguous symbols - the latter of love , the former of death - linking back to Che Gelida Manina . Both garments no doubt bought in the same retail arcades of death spiralling across the stage in Act 2. Mimi is a seamstress - a lowly paid figure making expensive goods to be sold in those self same- arcades . Doesn’t the rentier Benoit also get excoriated by the young Bohemians ( exploited creative underclass ) for making some crassly sexual remarks ? The problem is , as you say , Jones doesn’t follow through a perfectly plausible (I think ) concept.

Comment

I've seen at least 8 performances of La Boheme, but they have all been The Opera North productions by Phyllida Lloyd
      which I've always thought of as been perfect.
      Perhaps some of you with a wider range of experiences could concur or correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by nersner View Post
        I've seen at least 8 performances of La Boheme, but they have all been The Opera North productions by Phyllida Lloyd
        Perhaps some of you with a wider range of experiences could concur or correct me.
        Haven’t seen it but she is a tremendous director. Let’s face it the piece is director proof - a nailed on masterpiece. If the four principals can sing , act and look vaguely credible what else do you need?
        Oh yes…. the conductor can kill it.

Comment

Indeed - the ROH made a DVD of the Copley towards the end of its tenure but not with a very starry cast - they are all fine the production works its magic and Andris Nelsons is in the pit. He doesn't kill it !

Comment

Originally posted by nersner View Post
            It was a lovely production, so fresh and romantic, and helped by having a young cast.

In truth, it’s an opera I have no need to see anymore. But whenever I hear it (usually in its annual outing from the Met), it makes for an enjoyable listen. Puccini’s skill as an orchestrator is always of interest.

Comment

Working...
            X