Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berlioz Romeo et Juliette

I'd not come across this until hearing it on the radio. I'm enjoying the performance but something is puzzling me and hope that someone can enlighten me.

There is, relative to other operas that I've listened to, a lot of purely orchestral music without anyone singing. And I mean lots! Now I've never seen this opera and so curious....what is happening on the stage while the orchestra is playing?
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

I am sure someone will be able to come up with a link to a detailed synopsis to help. However, the main reason for the extended orchestral 'interludes' is that this is a piece for chorus and orchestra and three soloists rather than an opera. The Wikipedia page gives a lot more detail. I have sung this in the past (chorus, not solo) and enjoyed it immensely. Some of the music is startlingly modern to my ears. Glad you are enjoying it. To me, anything by Berlioz is going to be well worth listening to.

Comment

Yes, it's a 'Dramatic Symphony' and I don't think the composer envisaged its being staged. Berlioz was so disgusted with the Paris Opera's treatment of his Benvenuto Cellini that he turned away from conventional opera and evolved the form of the 'Dramatic Symphony', taking his cue from the finale of Beethoven's 9th.

There seems to be a fashion for staging choral works (Saul, S,Matthew Passion, and even the B minor Mass danced); I thinkits; best to respectthe composer's intentions, or works can be misunderstood..

Comment

Many thanks to you both for the enlightening replies. I can see now how it will 'play out' as it were.
        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          Yes, it's a 'Dramatic Symphony' and I don't think the composer envisaged its being staged. Berlioz was so disgusted with the Paris Opera's treatment of his Benvenuto Cellini that he turned away from conventional opera and evolved the form of the 'Dramatic Symphony', taking his cue from the finale of Beethoven's 9th.

There seems to be a fashion for staging choral works (Saul, S,Matthew Passion, and even the B minor Mass danced); I thinkits; best to respectthe composer's intentions, or works can be misunderstood..
          Berlioz was trying to create a unique genre

Comment

Working...
          X