Bluebeard's Castle (Michael Powell 1963)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluebeard's Castle (Michael Powell 1963)

Here is a long-awaited rarity: Michael Powell’s film of Bartók’s Bluebeard’s Castle, made for German television in 1963 and now superbly restored in high definition by the BFI. Working with artist Hein Heckroth, whose abstractions defined Powell and Pressburger’s earlier Tales of Hoffmann and much else, director and designer came up with a visual feast for sore eyes. The dialogues are framed as pillow talk, producing gripping intensity.

Musically, we have a creditable performance sung in the vernacular, by Norman Foster and Ana Raquel Satre (SDR Orchestra, c. Milan Horvat) rather than a starry studio recording with pictures tacked on, while the mummified appearance of Bluebeard’s former wives is terrifying, yet oddly lovely too. This is very memorable.

The English subtitles – which Powell incidentally didn’t want, urging total absorption in music and imagery – translate the Hungarian original not the German we hear; but given its generous Blu-ray extras (including Powell's 1975 revamp with limited, burnt-in subtitles) this is a must-see for everyone who loves the director's film work, or the opera.

BFI Blu-ray BFIB1501 (63 minutes)

Thanks. Although I've always enjoyed Powell's films, I had not heard of this one. I wonder if today's director Joanna Hogg knew it when she decided to use Bartok's opera in the background of her film The Souvenir (part one).

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Thanks. Although I've always enjoyed Powell's films, I had not heard of this one. I wonder if today's director Joanna Hogg knew it when she decided to use Bartok's opera in the background of her film The Souvenir (part one).
      Bluebeard's Castle (or to give the film its original and logical title, Herzog Blaubart's Burg) has been a sort of Holy Grail for Michael Powell fans, though you could see it in a dim, washed-out and blurry YouTube video which gave no idea of the visual and dramatic riches of this BFI restoration. It makes a wonderful pendant to the P&P "musical trilogy" of Red Shoes, Tales of Hoffmann and Oh, Rosalinda! and will repay many viewings, just as they do. Both Hein Heckroth and Powell loved working on it, describing it as one of the happiest experiences of their film-making lives. That loving care shines through, too.

Comment

Rental link from the BFI:

Discover a ‘lost’ masterpiece from acclaimed director Michael Powell (The Red Shoes and Peeping Tom), with this stunning adaptation of Béla Bartok’s expressionist opera.

Review from the Grauniad last year:

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
          Rental link from the BFI:

Discover a ‘lost’ masterpiece from acclaimed director Michael Powell (The Red Shoes and Peeping Tom), with this stunning adaptation of Béla Bartok’s expressionist opera.

Review from the Grauniad last year:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...michael-powell
          Thank you for the link to Peter Bradshaw's review, which - now I've written my own for another outlet entirely - I can sit back and enjoy. We seem to be in total agreement about the film, and I didn't know that Powell had intended it as the first half of a double bill, with a never-to-be-made Miraculous Mandarin. What a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
            Here is a long-awaited rarity: Michael Powell’s film of Bartók’s Bluebeard’s Castle, made for German television in 1963 and now superbly restored in high definition by the BFI. Working with artist Hein Heckroth, whose abstractions defined Powell and Pressburger’s earlier Tales of Hoffmann and much else, director and designer came up with a visual feast for sore eyes. The dialogues are framed as pillow talk, producing gripping intensity.

Musically, we have a creditable performance sung in the vernacular, by Norman Foster and Ana Raquel Satre (SDR Orchestra, c. Milan Horvat) rather than a starry studio recording with pictures tacked on, while the mummified appearance of Bluebeard’s former wives is terrifying, yet oddly lovely too. This is very memorable.

The English subtitles – which Powell incidentally didn’t want, urging total absorption in music and imagery – translate the Hungarian original not the German we hear; but given its generous Blu-ray extras (including Powell's 1975 revamp with limited, burnt-in subtitles) this is a must-see for everyone who loves the director's film work, or the opera.

BFI Blu-ray BFIB1501 (63 minutes)
            Good to be reminded of Norman Foster, a voice I've liked since first hearing his recording of Songs of a Wayfarer with Horenstein;. Ging heut Morgen being especially fine.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post

Good to be reminded of Norman Foster, a voice I've liked since first hearing his recording of Songs of a Wayfarer with Horenstein;. Ging heut Morgen being especially fine.
              Thanks Gradus, I must seek that out. I'd not heard Norman Foster's silky, mellifluous baritone before, but liked it very much. He partially funded the Powell film, as well as taking the lead.

Comment

Working...
              X