X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARBurton
    • May 2011

Bayreuth Tristan on 3sat tomorrow night

Just a "heads up", for those who can receive it, about the broadcast tomorrow evening of the new Bayreuth Tristan und Isolde, recorded today. 3Sat on Astra 19.1 at 7.15pm UK time.
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for reminder. Timer set.

Comment

• Prommer
      • Dec 2010

Anyone see it and have a view? I am seeing next week.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

The Die Walkure yesterday was pretty good too - again, the band were the stars.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

To be broadcast on Radio 3 on 17 October, I gather.

Comment

• ARBurton
            • May 2011

For the avoidance of doubt, R3 are broadcasting the Tristan (theme of the thread) not Walkure (mentioned in post nr 4)!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ARBurton View Post
              For the avoidance of doubt, R3 are broadcasting the Tristan (theme of the thread) not Walkure (mentioned in post nr 4)!
              Yes: thanks for clarifying my post, which I now see was ambiguous in context!

Comment

• slarty

I heard the premiere live (this performance) and also saw the televised performance.
                Excellent all round performance, very impressed by Gould and Herlitzius, she stepped into the role after Kampe pulled out during rehearsals.
                Terrific Marke by Zeppenfeld and a very fine debut by Patterson as Kurwenal(He will sing the Rheingold Wotan next year).
                Anyone who gets the chance to see the production should do so, excellent! with quite a twist in Act 3. I am a dyed in the wool traditionalist, brought up on Covent Garden in the 60s and Bayreuth around the same time, but this production is quite something special.

The star of the show is Thielemann and with his orchestra, they give an exceptional reading of the work. I have known CT's Tristan for some years now, but this has now matured into an almost definitive reading of the work.
                Herlitzius has already said that she won't sing Isolde again at Bayreuth, as it is now just getting beyond her, she only stood in as no one else was ready, but she deserves a great deal of credit.
                I heard this before I saw it, the radio broadcast was tremendous, but once I saw the production, I elevated it to a much higher level.
                For those who can't get to see it, I will post a description of Act 3 after the broadcast.

Comment

• ARBurton
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                  Yes: thanks for clarifying my post, which I now see was ambiguous in context!
                  no criticism intended!

Comment

• Anastasius
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by slarty View Post
                    Herlitzius has already said that she won't sing Isolde again at Bayreuth, as it is now just getting beyond her, she only stood in as no one else was ready, but she deserves a great deal of credit.
                    I heard this before I saw it, the radio broadcast was tremendous, but once I saw the production, I elevated it to a much higher level.
                    For those who can't get to see it, I will post a description of Act 3 after the broadcast.
                    Ah, thanks for this as it stops me being too uncharitable. I came into it about an hour in and switched off within minutes as I found her voice so dire. Mind you, Tristan wasn't that much better.
                    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

I fear I also had a serious problem with the Isolde. Gould struggling in beginning of Act 2 to my ears. Totally agree about the excellent King Mark - star of the show for me.
                      Predictably, the orchestra seemed in very fine fettle. The Bayreuth Orch rarely sounds less than top class. Whether that is due to Thielemann or the excellence of the players who know the score at least as well as he does, I am not in a position to judge.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                        Ah, thanks for this as it stops me being too uncharitable. I came into it about an hour in and switched off within minutes as I found her voice so dire. Mind you, Tristan wasn't that much better.
                        Ditto!
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought Evelyn Herlitzius was an outstanding Isolde, right up there with Nilsson, but with a somewhat warmer tone and the added bonus of a native German speaker. My only quarrel was with Act 3 when Tristan seemed too far away from any available microphone. Thielemann and orchestra simply outstanding!
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Right up there with Nilsson.....? Really?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

I've never really understood the enthusiasm for Nilsson. She's OK if you value penetrating accuarcy over character & warmth, but I find her a bit wearing. Of course, it could be the fault of the recordings I've listened to.

Comment

Working...
                              X