• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Werther, A on 3, 5 Nov'15

A pleasure to hear Massenet's Werther, recorded at the Grosses Festspielhaus as part of this year's Salzburg Festival, although a bit disconcerted to realise that it is now 38 years since I instantly fell under the spell of this opera at the ENO, March 1977, from the opening bars of the Prelude, exquisitely conducted by Charles Mackerrras. Janet Baker had the radiance and soul for Charlotte and John Brecknock deeply impressive in the sorrows of young Werther - and the clarity of his enunciation as I could hear every word in the nether regions of the Coli!

Took an extended lunch break to troll the West End for a recording before tracing a two LP (pre-CD age), EMI France import at Collett's Russian bookshop, near the Astoria cinema on Charing X Rd - timely warnings of 10 years in the gulag for light-fingered shoppers. Incomparable pairing of Georges Thill & Ninon Vallin and quickly acquired a CD transfer on the References label a few years later. My shelves also contain later DVD recordings and several audio releases, including Magda Olivera, 1963, Melodram, and a rarity on Dutton from a 1939 broadcast with Maggie Teyte and Heddle Nash, remastered by Michael J Dutton.

A refreshing change, too, to have Jonathan Swain as presenter; clear, concise - and no chat! Must now listen to a minidisc recording with Piotr Beczala and Angela Gheorghiu as Werther and Charlotte.
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Was bowled over when I encountered Werther for the first time: Kraus, Troyanos, LPO M Plasson. Bought the Kaufmann/Koch DVD, again with Plasson conducting. Excellent - but didn't like the gimmicky filming of the production. Am now looking forward to the Thill/Vallin CD plus a Wiener Staatsoper DVD with Alvarez and Garanca.
    Tbh I gave up on Thursday's R3 offering with Piotr Beczala as Werther. Should I have persevered?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
      A pleasure to hear Massenet's Werther, recorded at the Grosses Festspielhaus as part of this year's Salzburg Festival, although a bit disconcerted to realise that it is now 38 years since I instantly fell under the spell of this opera at the ENO, March 1977, from the opening bars of the Prelude, exquisitely conducted by Charles Mackerrras. Janet Baker had the radiance and soul for Charlotte and John Brecknock deeply impressive in the sorrows of young Werther - and the clarity of his enunciation as I could hear every word in the nether regions of the Coli!
      We saw it was on as we happened to be walking down St Martin's Lane in the afternoon. They still had tickets and we went back in the evening. Pre-children we could get away with this kind of unplanned activity. So glad we did. It was a great evening and surprisingly the only time we ever saw Janet B live.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Did anyone make a mint out of it?

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Er - not sure, I think they fudged the issue.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            Er - not sure, I think they fudged the issue.
            That's hardly original.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

I was there too, Stanley. One of my brightest memories of Janet Baker - and it lit a fuse for Massenet still alight in me.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Perhaps a pity I missed this on R3. However I saw it, for the first time, in Munich last week. Some of it is lovely, and I was quite surprised at the kind of through composing - continous flows of music for the most part. Not sure if it had any Wagnerian leitmotif ideas though - if so they didn't come through strongly for me. I discussed/argued about the romantic plot afterwards. Perhaps I'm was too hard on the plot - might have been more relevant in those days. The Munich production seemed well done, though I did wonder about the length of the whole thing. This was the first time I'd ever heard it in its entirety, otherwise I only recall the famous aria sung by Werther.

I shall probably try to pick it up from iPlayer.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Smitten by Werther all over again. Listened to my recording and found it rather stodgy in performance but orchestrally magnetic. Ms Gheorghiu in much better voice on the EMI/Pappano recording. Sought solace in one of my favourite recordings; Jose Carreras & Frederica Von Stade, ROH/Colin Davis on Philips Classics,1980, which I also saw at Covent Garden. With the addition of Thomas Allen (Albert) and Isobel Buchanan (Sophie),it all gelled so well.

Must now search for my off-air recording of the Opera North production with Alice Coote as an exceptional Charlotte, a few years ago. Memory lane also reminded me of a Janet Baker radio interview in 1977, her caveat being the discomfort of having to kneel for so long on the floor as Werther was shuffling off this mortal coil!

I still adore the sheer romanticism and the flavour of French opera, my interest stimulated via French cinema and seeing Renoir's incomplete Une Partie de Campange, 1936, and Les Enfants du Paradis, 1945, as a youngster - the influence of Film Societies at the time - and how well French boulevard theatre was presented at the annual World Theatre Seasons at the Aldwych Th in the 60s and the 70s. Such style and the artistry of Edwige Feuillere, Pierre Fresnay and Jean-Louis Barrault.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Such style and the artistry of Edwige Feuillere. . .
                    Incomparable. I saw her and Jean Marais in La Maison du lac (On Golden Pond) in Paris (early 90s?). Memories!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I did wonder about the length of the whole thing.
                      It was neatly abridged by Thackeray -

WERTHER had a love for Charlotte
                      Such as words could never utter;
                      Would you know how first he met her?
                      She was cutting bread and butter.

Charlotte was a married lady,
                      And a moral man was Werther,
                      And for all the wealth of Indies
                      Would do nothing for to hurt her.

So he sigh’d and pin’d and ogled,
                      And his passion boil’d and bubbled,
                      Till he blew his silly brains out,
                      And no more was by it troubled.

Charlotte, having seen his body
                      Borne before her on a shutter,
                      Like a well-conducted person,
                      Went on cutting bread and butter.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                        Incomparable. I saw her and Jean Marais in La Maison du lac (On Golden Pond) in Paris (early 90s?). Memories!
                        I do feel envious as I recall the 1981 film version with Henry Fonda, Katharine Hepburn and Jane Fonda. I bet that Edwige Feuillere and Jean Marais had the same stamp of truth. To compensate, I've just transferred an off-air video to DVD of Les Paradis du Enfants, shown on BBC2, 1996 and it is still an exquisite experience.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          It was neatly abridged by Thackeray -

WERTHER had a love for Charlotte
                          Such as words could never utter;
                          Would you know how first he met her?
                          She was cutting bread and butter.

Charlotte was a married lady,
                          And a moral man was Werther,
                          And for all the wealth of Indies
                          Would do nothing for to hurt her.

So he sigh’d and pin’d and ogled,
                          And his passion boil’d and bubbled,
                          Till he blew his silly brains out,
                          And no more was by it troubled.

Charlotte, having seen his body
                          Borne before her on a shutter,
                          Like a well-conducted person,
                          Went on cutting bread and butter.
                          I think a page of A4 might do it better justice.

Somewhat surprisingly some of the action might be based on some form of reality -

Comment

Working...
                          X