X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Opera libretti for downloads

Perhaps this subject has come up before, but I am struggling to locate a particular opera libretto for a download I'd like to purchase. The opera is Nielsen's Maskarade and I have been unable to find on the web any text of the libretto in Danish with English translation (there is one with Spanish translation which I could just about battle with).

I am aware of this site, which doesn't have any copy of the Nielsen, and also this more comprehensive one which has the text with Spanish translation, but I've not had any other luck.

The version I'd like to download is that by Ulf Schirmer and the DRSO on Decca Classics, who do have some downloadable libretti on their site but not for this opera.

I'd be grateful for any ideas. This does seem to be an area where download music is falling short. It really is tough to follow an opera in Danish without a libretto (unless you're a Dane).
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Not sure how good it is - Spink/Fanning translation alongside the Danish?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Thanks, ff. I did actually come across that site in my researches. There is indeed an English translation, but it is embedded within a reproduction of the full score which is rather more than I need and not so easy to follow (or print off!) I think I'd probably stick with the Spanish where I could generally get the sense of it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

This is one reason why I stick with CDs.

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

Maybe, but I'm trying to avoid accumulating more physical stuff, and in any case plenty of CD box sets of operas (especially the bargain ones) don't include libretti these days.

It ought not to be that difficult to add on a pdf-file of the libretto text to the download but for some reason the companies don't think of it.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Maybe, but I'm trying to avoid accumulating more physical stuff, and in any case plenty of CD box sets of operas (especially the bargain ones) don't include libretti these days.

It ought not to be that difficult to add on a pdf-file of the libretto text to the download but for some reason the companies don't think of it.
            Naxos often do add a PDF I think.
            If you have access to the Naxos library, you may find one there for the recent Dacapo release.
            I will have a look later .
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

This is one reason why I stick with CDs.
              I also prefer the booklets you can hold in your hand and have a libretto which includes track markers and index points relevant to that specific recording. It is neither convenient nor cost-effective to print off pages of online libretti and I just read them on the laptop which is somehow less satisfactory. Sometimes these ones don't have those index points.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                • Nov 2011

I have a PDF copy of the booklet issued with the recently-released Dacapo recording (conducted by Michael Schønwandt).

I can provide you with a link if you desire.

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                  I have a PDF copy of the booklet issued with the recently-released Dacapo recording (conducted by Michael Schønwandt).

I can provide you with a link if you desire.
                  Thanks for that help, DublinJimbo, though presumably the PDF file would only be available for download if I were also buying the Dacapo recording? I'd rather go for the Decca Classics Schirmer download as it sounds very good and is half the price of the Dacapo.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    Thanks for that help, DublinJimbo, though presumably the PDF file would only be available for download if I were also buying the Dacapo recording? I'd rather go for the Decca Classics Schirmer download as it sounds very good and is half the price of the Dacapo.
                    I got the booklet with my download of the Dacapo. That's what I'm offering you. Here's a link.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Sorry, I misunderstood, DJ. Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X