X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Marriage of Figaro -a counter tenor Cherubino

The ROH have apparently cast a counter tenor as Cherubino and this casting has had good reviews strikes me as odd . Mozart wrote it as a trousers role for a woman . Anyone heard of this before or been to see the latest McVicar ROH revival ?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I’d always assumed the part was written for a castrato. I’m relieved to be told it wasn’t!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      I’d always assumed the part was written for a castrato. I’m relieved to be told it wasn’t!
      His son may confirm that!

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        The ROH have apparently cast a counter tenor as Cherubino and this casting has had good reviews strikes me as odd . Mozart wrote it as a trousers role for a woman . Anyone heard of this before or been to see the latest McVicar ROH revival ?
        The Guardian newspaper described this McVicar production of the Marriage of Figaro as a "gender-fluid revival."

This revival of David McVicar’s wonderful 2006 production sees an uneven cast and John Eliot Gardiner’s conducting sometimes too overbearing
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 04-07-19, 14:44.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          The Guardian newspaper described this McVicar production of the Marriage of Figaro as a "gender-fluid revival."
          Well, if one's gender fluids need reviving ...
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Oddly this subject came up the other day - we wondered if in fact Cherubino had been written for a castrato, but thought that particular style of voice had largely died out by Mozart's time, so figured Mozart really did write it for a woman.

Some of the "gender fluid" productions are really confusing, such as Cendrillon at Glyndebourne - an opera which I'd never seen before - strange!
            Trying to figure out who or what the Prince is, and who/what Massenet wrote the part for.

Incidentally, the production can be seen online until Sunday at this web link - https://www.glyndebourne.com/events/watch-cinderella/
            and in the following weeks there'll be online viewing opportunities for the Barber of Seville and the Magic Flute.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Apparently it is being streamed life for free next Tuesday 9th July so we will have a chance to see and hear Mr Kim in action as Cherubino.

Comment

• Lion-of-Vienna
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Oddly this subject came up the other day - we wondered if in fact Cherubino had been written for a castrato, but thought that particular style of voice had largely died out by Mozart's time, so figured Mozart really did write it for a woman.
                Admittedly it was written 13 years before Figaro but the motet Exsultate Jubilate was written for a castrato named Venanzio Rauzzini.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Would it be fairer to say that by the time of Figaro castrati had retreated to church choirs, where they lingered surprisingly late?

Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) was a castrato in the Sistine Chapel choir till c.1913 and was recorded in 1902 and 1904 by the Gaisberg brothers for G&T. These discs probably do not give much of an idea of what operatically trained virtuoso castrati sounded like, but they are certainly - ummmm, harumph - interesting!

Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 04-07-19, 22:26. Reason: CD image added
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

The role of Sesto in Mozart's last opera (La Clemenza di Tito, 1791) was first performed by castrato Domenico Bedini, with the composer conducting the performances. (The commission specified that the role should be written for such a singer.)

Idamente, in Idomeneo ten years earlier was also written for a castrato, but the composer later rewrote the part for tenor. I think this certainly suggests that castrati weren't as common by the end of the Century as they had been, but that some opera houses/companies still had "access" to such singers.

Edit: both works Opera Seria, of course.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LHC
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      The role of Sesto in Mozart's last opera (La Clemenza di Tito, 1791) was first performed by castrato Domenico Bedini, with the composer conducting the performances. (The commission specified that the role should be written for such a singer.)

Idamente, in Idomeneo ten years earlier was also written for a castrato, but the composer later rewrote the part for tenor. I think this certainly suggests that castrati weren't as common by the end of the Century as they had been, but that some opera houses/companies still had "access" to such singers.

Edit: both works Opera Seria, of course.
                      When the Royal Opera House staged Idomeneo in 2014, the counter tenor Franco Fagioli played Idamante (if memory serves, he was billed in the programme as a male soprano).
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                        When the Royal Opera House staged Idomeneo in 2014, the counter tenor Franco Fagioli played Idamante (if memory serves, he was billed in the programme as a male soprano).
                        Wasn’t a castrato voice usually used for a hero or a big baddie (e.g. Tamerlano and Tolomeo) but rarely for a young boy/man like Cherubino? Although countertenors always say they are not castorati, so I suppose this can be irrelevant in this case.

[ed.] When women weren’t allowed on stage in Rome, all roles were of course played by male singers but that’s probably irrelevant in this discussion.
                        Last edited by doversoul1; 05-07-19, 19:34.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                          ...all roles were of course played by mail singers...
                          Surely only knightly characters? (Unless there was a singing postman back then)
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

s/he could have been called Pat

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                              s/he could have been called Pat
                              Definitely he - a light boy?

Comment