X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Constantbee
    • Jul 2017

Boris Godunov ROH

In fact the first opera I ever saw and I hope not the last. Thanks to the ROH performance database, and relating performance dates to significant life events I was able to pin-point the date to 30 October 1974 – a school trip – and Marian’s dad came with us so we could all get home safely afterwards Boris was played by the great Bulgarian bass Boris Christoff. A hard act to follow, then More research revealed that the 1974 Boris was a Peter Brook production, much admired for a memorable ending where Boris is left alone on an empty stage bewailing the cycle of Russian tyranny. I just hope that young people today get the same chances we had to see great operatic performances.

Did I like this version? Indeed I did. I sense that Bryn Terfyl:daff2: might not have many fans here. Presumably this has something to do with his appearance on Michael Macintyre’s Midnight Game Show, has it? Or the fact that he posts Youtube videos of himself doing keepie-uppies (a footballing term for keeping a football in the air by bouncing it off your knees)? Great performances from Sir Bryn, Tomlinson, Matthew Rose and David Butt Phillip. Sound quality in the house is very impressive, second to none, even up in the amphitheatre. My only criticism would be that the orchestra could have been a bit perkier. All in all a great visitor experience. If I lived nearer I’d might even be thinking of becoming a ROH friend
    And the tune ends too soon for us all
  • Darkbloom
    • Feb 2015

The title role is such a difficult one to cast successfully. Because Boris is quite high people think a baritone can sing it, but you end up losing a lot of the dark, dramatic qualities and it sells the music short. When you hear a good Russian bass do it the result is striking and often thrilling.

I remember the howls of opprobrium on here the last time I mentioned Terfel, so I shall remain silent. I will only say that there is an art to picking the right roles, and people can be tempted to sing roles that they want to sing rather than ones they are able to sing.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
      In fact the first opera I ever saw and I hope not the last. Thanks to the ROH performance database, and relating performance dates to significant life events I was able to pin-point the date to 30 October 1974 – a school trip – and Marian’s dad came with us so we could all get home safely afterwards Boris was played by the great Bulgarian bass Boris Christoff. A hard act to follow, then More research revealed that the 1974 Boris was a Peter Brook production, much admired for a memorable ending where Boris is left alone on an empty stage bewailing the cycle of Russian tyranny. I just hope that young people today get the same chances we had to see great operatic performances.

Did I like this version? Indeed I did. I sense that Bryn Terfyl:daff2: might not have many fans here. Presumably this has something to do with his appearance on Michael Macintyre’s Midnight Game Show, has it? Or the fact that he posts Youtube videos of himself doing keepie-uppies (a footballing term for keeping a football in the air by bouncing it off your knees)? Great performances from Sir Bryn, Tomlinson, Matthew Rose and David Butt Phillip. Sound quality in the house is very impressive, second to none, even up in the amphitheatre. My only criticism would be that the orchestra could have been a bit perkier. All in all a great visitor experience. If I lived nearer I’d might even be thinking of becoming a ROH friend
      It was a terrific cast, and the role now seems to suit Terfel to perfection. A great interpretation, in the presence of a great Boris of yesteryear, Tomlinson, and potentially a great future Boris, Rose.
      Orchestra sounded on great form the night I went.
      I agree with your sentiments about young people today. Fortunately for them, this run of BG sold so badly (I think the ROH perhaps misjudged the pulling-power of Terfel today when setting the prices) that there were a lot of heavily discounted tickets flying around, which made for a refreshingly young audience, who seemed to appreciate it to the full.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

As a fairly regular attender, and lover of the piece, I went to Terfel's previous run in Boris G. I wasn't impressed, and gave this run a miss.
        Glad for those who did go, if they found him vocally on top of the role.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
          As a fairly regular attender, and lover of the piece, I went to Terfel's previous run in Boris G. I wasn't impressed, and gave this run a miss.
          Glad for those who did go, if they found him vocally on top of the role.
          I went to the first run with Terfel too, and wasn’t impressed either. I’m glad I gave him a second chance.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
            I went to the first run with Terfel too, and wasn’t impressed either. I’m glad I gave him a second chance.
            I went to the first run - was quite impressed - but not so much as to go to this run. Having read the reviews and UTC’s thoughts I’m now wishing I had gone. I didn’t much care for the production though...

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Is Terfel's career going off the boil? Wasn't there a time when he could have filled the ROH with a Henze opera?

You pay a price for being a crossover king.......

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

We saw the first run and not knowing the work that well and seeing it performed for the first time, I got a lot out of the performance. Terfel was fine but I remember being less than overwhelmed by the sound of his voice and I found some aspects of the staging irritating.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Was that ”first run” the one which was shown in cinemas a few years ago? I enjoyed it at the time, but didn’t know what to expect, and had almost nothing to compare with, except recollections of excerpts probably sung by by distinguished Russians or Bulgarians on the radio or CDs. I suspect one has to see/hear this several times in order to understand and appreciate the work.

Comment

• Darkbloom
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                    Is Terfel's career going off the boil? Wasn't there a time when he could have filled the ROH with a Henze opera?

You pay a price for being a crossover king.......
                    Maybe it's the wrong opera rather than any reflection on Terfel, since his reviews are never less than glowingly positive usually. It's obviously one of the greatest of all operas but hardly a crowd-pleaser, especially in its truncated ROH version, and perhaps Terfel fans aren't enticed by the combination. Maybe the time of year has worked against it too with people on holiday before the Proms season starts. All totally irresponsible speculation on my part, of course.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                      Maybe it's the wrong opera rather than any reflection on Terfel, since his reviews are never less than glowingly positive usually. It's obviously one of the greatest of all operas but hardly a crowd-pleaser, especially in its truncated ROH version, and perhaps Terfel fans aren't enticed by the combination. Maybe the time of year has worked against it too with people on holiday before the Proms season starts. All totally irresponsible speculation on my part, of course.
                      That irresponsible speculation chimes with my irresponsible speculation. To which I would add only that the price range was £12 - £250, which is (as I recall) the same as the ROH charged for each of the Ring Cycle operas last autumn. I imagine that a lot of people who could in theory have afforded the top whack would not have been interested in paying it for a revival of a relatively obscure (at least in this version) one-acter, despite the draw of Terfel.

Comment

Working...
                      X