Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROH Live 20.6.2020 - Das Lied von der Erde

This was an absolutely magnificent performance by a pared down ROH orchestra in an arrangement by Schoenberg. Wonderfully sung by Dame Sarah Connolly and David Butt Philip - can't recommend it highly enough.

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
    This was an absolutely magnificent performance by a pared down ROH orchestra in an arrangement by Schoenberg. Wonderfully sung by Dame Sarah Connolly and David Butt Philip - can't recommend it highly enough.
    Link? https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-e...0-june-details, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      I didn't hear this performance, but I've always felt Schoenberg did a fine job in his transcription, especially in view of the exquisitely refined ear for sonority Mahler put into his own original orchestration. I believe Schoenberg was one of those approached to complete the Tenth Symphony, and it is said that he would have overridden all the work's virtues and made it into a Schoenberg work, viz the Monn and Handel re-compositions - which accusations I find totally belied here, and in any case citing the two other transcriptions - and one could add the Brahms - is completely beside the point.

Comment

And don't skip over the equally-excellent Vadim Muntagirov in the Dance of the Blessed Spirits at the beginning.

I thought the whole evening was of really high quality - and really appreciated the Schoenberg arrangement for its clarity. Sarah Connolly had me in tears at the end. I hadn't realised that it was her first performance since cancer treatment, but you wouldn't have known it, I don't think.

Comment

If last week's event is anything to go by, the performance may be expected to turn up on the Radio 3 evening concert at some stage. Not to be missed, in my opinion. It's also available online for the next couple of weeks, as many viewings as you like, for £4.99. A snip at the price, if you ask me. Details here:

You will need to sign up with Vimeo, though.

Comment

Originally posted by alywin View Post
            If last week's event is anything to go by, the performance may be expected to turn up on the Radio 3 evening concert at some stage. Not to be missed, in my opinion. It's also available online for the next couple of weeks, as many viewings as you like, for £4.99. A snip at the price, if you ask me. Details here:

You will need to sign up with Vimeo, though.
            Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did . Yes I shouldn't have skipped over the ballet - an excellent companion piece - that's opera buffs all over ! There was some confusion on the ROH comments page on Sat night as it emerged that you didn't have to register with Vimeo to watch . There is a weblink https://stream.roh.org.uk also available. There were quite a few disgruntled comments - the problem is that youtube like netflix and prime have cunningly inserted themselves in the architecture of smart tellies whereas vimeo and the ROH haven't - their pockets aren't deep enough. And most smart tv web browsers are difficult to use and , in the case of my smart tv don't stream the Met Opera for example. You are then down to running cables out of laptops and into tellies and doing a bit of tinkering with the audio settings. I think it is on Radio 3 as I'm pretty sure I heard a trail - but can't find it in the schedules. My guess is that it will be two weeks from last Saturday as that is when the pay-per-view period ends.

Comment

Let's not forget Rainer Rhein's contribution to this reduction. Schoenberg never got round to finishing his arrangement. It was not until 1980 that it was made performable through Rhein's completion of the task.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Let's not forget Rainer Rhein's contribution to this reduction. Schoenberg never got round to finishing his arrangement. It was not until 1980 that it was made performable through Rhein's completion of the task.
                The ROH credited him I am pleased to say. Can't remember from Saturday but the excellent arrangement doesnt include the all important if slightly underused mandolin part!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I hadn't known anything about that, so thanks, Bryn.

Comment

I've seen the chamber version performed at Snape and thought it worked well if at a slightly lower emotional voltage.

Comment

Tangential - ​if you liked this, try......

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/ma.../heme5ohuusmgb

....marvellously done in all respects, a 2019 JLW Record pf the Year....

Comment

Working...
                      X