Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Whilst I am pleased that the BBC has broadcast an opera from the ROH on BBC 4, this is the 4th or 5th time they have shown this particular production of La Boheme.

As the BBC only usually shows 1 or at most 2 operas a year, I would prefer it if they occasionally showed a new one, rather than yet another a repeat of one of Jones' least convincing productions. And if they have to rely on repeats rather than new productions, there must be plenty of other more interesting productions and performances in their vaults that they could choose instead
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
        Whilst I am pleased that the BBC has broadcast an opera from the ROH on BBC 4, this is the 4th or 5th time they have shown this particular production of La Boheme.

As the BBC only usually shows 1 or at most 2 operas a year, I would prefer it if they occasionally showed a new one, rather than yet another a repeat of one of Jones' least convincing productions. And if they have to rely on repeats rather than new productions, there must be plenty of other more interesting productions and performances in their vaults that they could choose instead
        Well I hadn't seen it before and didn't feel the strrictures others have expressed. I felt the last act was a bit flat given the drama: good singing from Rodolfo & Mimi, but the direction was rather tepid.

Comment

Working...
        X