Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
    Just back from tonight’s performance: happy to report that Mark Elder is back in the pit. And I'm very much in agreement with Belgrove's review.
    I was there yesterday as well. I also agree with the comments made so far. This was an excellent production and the performances were really outstanding. I would also echo the plaudits for the orchestral playing and Elder's conducting. I can't remember hearing the Storm played with such elemental force before.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      To be broadcast in Opera on 3 (according to Martin Handley this morning) on Saturday 23 April at 1830.
      Reminder Any chance of a ROH DVD in the offing?
      And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Great performance this but the timpani are too dominant in the balance.

Comment

Don’t know whether any one else listening to this but Clayton’s singing is absolutely incredible. What a musician.

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
            Reminder Any chance of a ROH DVD in the offing?
            I'm still thinking about our night at "Grimes". Thought I would email the Friends, as I am one, to express the wish for a DVD. Surely worth promoting this production and cast, it had a lot of favourable reviews and atttracted so much attention; (But today I can't get the email address, because their website is down (I think maybe for technical work? I'll have to put it on tomorrows list....).

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
              I'm still thinking about our night at "Grimes". Thought I would email the Friends, as I am one, to express the wish for a DVD. Surely worth promoting this production and cast, it had a lot of favourable reviews and atttracted so much attention; (But today I can't get the email address, because their website is down (I think maybe for technical work? I'll have to put it on tomorrows list....).
              Having now heard the radio broadcast I think the performances were so good a CD would be very welcome even if a DVD wasn't possible. What impressed me most about this Grimes was the casting which I thought was spot on in every role. The singers were utterly believable and looked the part, the characters almost recognisable if you've ever visited an English coastal resort where people still make a living from sea fishing. Must have been a terrific live performance.
              And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                Having now heard the radio broadcast I think the performances were so good a CD would be very welcome even if a DVD wasn't possible. What impressed me most about this Grimes was the casting which I thought was spot on in every role. The singers were utterly believable and looked the part, the characters almost recognisable if you've ever visited an English coastal resort where people still make a living from sea fishing. Must have been a terrific live performance.
                Not sure from this - did you see the performance in the House? Perhaps you've seen some production photos. However, all the chorus were well produced dramatically - particularly evident in the storm scene where groups of locals came through the door of the pub in groups at various intervals. A very persuasive representation of a present-day coastal / "struggling" community.

This morning I sent in my message to the Friends with superlatives as to the achievements in this production and imploring the ROH to issue a DVD. If the reply has anything tangible to say, I'll update this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                  A very persuasive representation of a present-day coastal / "struggling" community.
                  Possibly. But not, perhaps, a very persuasive representation of Britten's Peter Grimes? The problem was, that in showing us a 21st century "struggling" community, it forgot about the rather different 18th/19th century struggles (and ethos) of Crabbe and the opera.

To take one glaring example, how many people go to church in today's struggling seaside communities? The modern-day Rev. Horace Adams would count himself lucky if he got three persons and a dog, never mind the lusty congregation of the ROH chorus. It was at a host of moments like this, that this (condescendingly metropolitan) production descended into implausibility, for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                    Possibly. But not, perhaps, a very persuasive representation of Britten's Peter Grimes? The problem was, that in showing us a 21st century "struggling" community, it forgot about the rather different 18th/19th century struggles (and ethos) of Crabbe and the opera.

To take one glaring example, how many people go to church in today's struggling seaside communities? The modern-day Rev. Horace Adams would count himself lucky if he got three persons and a dog, never mind the lusty congregation of the ROH chorus. It was at a host of moments like this, that this (condescendingly metropolitan) production descended into implausibility, for me.
                    I think St Peter and Paul , the Parish church at Aldeburgh where Britten is buried , can muster a bit more than that. Though Aldeburgh must now be one of the most expensive seaside towns on the East coast . Just back from holiday in Suffolk the Evensong I went to one Saturday up at Norwich Cathedral had forty or so. Quite a good turnout but nothing compared to the thousands necking it back in the city’s copious pubs at 5.30 in the afternoon.

PS there’s a top notch refectory at Norwich Cathedral.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                      I think St Peter and Paul , the Parish church at Aldeburgh where Britten is buried , can muster a bit more than that. Though Aldeburgh must now be one of the most expensive seaside towns on the East coast . Just back from holiday in Suffolk the Evensong I went to one Saturday up at Norwich Cathedral had forty or so. Quite a good turnout but nothing compared to the thousands necking it back in the city’s copious pubs at 5.30 in the afternoon.

PS there’s a top notch refectory at Norwich Cathedral.
                      Seconded, as to that refectory! You highlight another aspect of the ROH Peter Grimes - namely, that it clearly was not set in modern, well-heeled and (comparatively) far from struggling Aldeburgh. That isn't necessarily a problem, of course; but (given the socially deadbeat nature of the production) it was I think another point where we were all too conscious of the gulf between Britten's small town milieu and ROH's dystopian, modern construct.

Comment

Seconded, as to that refectory! You highlight another aspect of the ROH Peter Grimes - namely, that it clearly was not set in modern, well-heeled and (comparatively) far from struggling Aldeburgh. That isn't necessarily a problem, of course; but (given the socially deadbeat nature of the production) it was I think another point where we were all too conscious of the gulf between Britten's small town milieu and ROH's dystopian, modern construct.
                        On a socio-political note Clacton,where I used to spend many happy days as a child appears to have gone downhill whereas Aldeburgh is now super posh - I mean ridiculously expensive .Has Britten himself been partly responsible for the latter’s transformation ? The cultural centre at Snape is a huge draw. The prices of the apartments there are extraordinary.

PS I see you are a fellow Blackheathian so maybe Aldeburgh is a bargain …

Comment

PS I see you are a fellow Blackheathian so maybe Aldeburgh is a bargain …
                          I wish! The only problem Aldeburgh has, is its need to rebuild inland every few years. The Moot Hall used to be in the middle of town. Now it's nearly on the beach!

Comment

I wish! The only problem Aldeburgh has, is its need to rebuild inland every few years. The Moot Hall used to be in the middle of town. Now it's nearly on the beach!
                            Great thing about Blackheath is it’s satisfyingly way above sea (and Thames ) level

Comment

Great thing about Blackheath is it’s satisfyingly way above sea (and Thames ) level
                              Yes, we're quite safe up here, and can afford to be pleased with ourselves!

Comment

Yes, we're quite safe up here, and can afford to be pleased with ourselves!
                                I don’t live there anymore but I’m still 100 feet above sea level on the coast . Having spent a few weeks on the Suffolk coast there is something about living with a constant threat of the sea . Even those super expensive houses In Aldeburgh are just as much under threat as those in Clacton and Jaywick - maybe more so. A mood that the opera captures even though global warming was unheard of then. I guess they still had North Sea tidal surges.

Comment

Working...
                                X